Chapter 7

Ever since that day, every time Nicki saw him, she tried to runaway, but he'd find a way to confront her. Either were Math class, Science class or after school rehearsals, she refused to talk to him.

Her crush was getting bigger and bigger everyday. When she wasn't with me, she'd daze off and get mad at herself for it. It's like Cupid never ran out of arrows.

She just wasn't herself anymore and it concerned Drake, but he was getting pushed away and didn't know what to do to help her. Unable to sleep peacefully anymore, he got up, slid in he flip flops and went downstairs and silently snuck out of the house.

He looked across the backyard and saw a old ladder. Like a thief of the night, he went and dragged it to under Nicki's window. Once it was positioned, he climbed it. When he reached the balcony, he ducked in case anybody had seen him. Coast was clear. Damn, this family can sleep, he thought. He carefully knocked on the door. About two minutes later, he saw Nicki opening and closing the curtain. She slid the door open trying to keep her eyes open.

"Drake! Wha-... How did you get here."

"I climbed the ladder."

"No. You have to get out of here."

"I am not going anywhere before I find out what's been going on with you." He said gradually making his way to her. She backed up.

"Drake, please, don't."

"Don't what?"

She ran out of space so she fell on her butt on the bed. Drake stopped right in front of her. "This. Please, don't make me say it."

"I don't care. You have to tell me. I feel like it has something to do with me. It's been three weeks, Nic. Three weeks."

"What makes you think that?"

"Every since we kissed the other day, you've been keeping your distance from me. What's wrong?"

She looked down at her fingers and whispered. "Why did you go out with Ashley the day after?"

"What? Who told you that?"

"It doesn't matter. The whole school was talking about it."

"I think they may be referring to the fact that I went to house to practice. She is part of the music in the school's musical."

"Yeah, whatever..." She got up trying to walk away but he grabbed her wrist.

"Ah, I think I know what's going on here." She looked at him. "You're jealous."

"What? No."

"Yes. It makes perfect sense. You've been running away from me since we kissed, you're avoiding me since that Ashley thing and now you're acting all jealous. You, have crush on me."

"No I don't..."

"Yes, you do." With one arm, he pulled her closer to him and kissed her. She didn't hesitate and kissed him right back putting her hands over his chest. When they pulled away, they stared into each other's eyes.

"Why won't you admit that you like me?"

"Because I heard you're a player. I don't do players."

"Trust me, I'm not one."

"Are you sure? 'Cause if you want to play, then I can be the couch."

"Ouch." He put a hand over his heart and pretended he was hurt.

"I'm serious."

"Okay, how about this. If I prove that I'm not what they say, will you go out with me?"