Chapter 23: So... Labelmate

Find me in the dark
I'll be in the stars
Find me in your heart
I'm in need of your love
Your Love, your love, your love
Baby, you're the illest, your love
Your love

"That's a wrap." Safaree said to Nicki, but he knew she couldn't hear him inside the booth. She was in at studio starting to record her debut album which she was very excited about.

Nicki screwed her face clearly because she didn't understand what Safaree just said. He simply put his thumbs up. She pulled her phone out of her pocket and replied to a couple of text messages she had. When she was done, she looked and saw movement in the room, took off her headphones and walked out of the booth.

"What are you guys doing here?"

"There's a meeting here." Shanell said.

"Why didn't anybody tell me?"

She saw Wayne walking in. "Because you were already here and will be part of it."

Nicki went up to where she left her purse and sat down right there. Shanell sat next to her. Drake discretely ran up and sat on armrest so he was next to Nic. Safaree gave him a death glare. Drake just shrugged to him then shrugged him off. He knew Nicki didn't see it because she was too busy conversing with Shanell. After everyone was settled down, Wayne spoke up.

"As you know were almost done with our first compilation album." A few people cheered. "But we still have a couple of songs to finish and shoot a video before We Are Young Money drops... Nicki, Drake. I know you already recorded a few ones with us but since you're both new to the label I'm gonna put you two together in some others."

Nicki felt uneasy and got comfortable in her seat crossing her legs.

"Which ones?" Drake asked.

"That's up to you two. I'll play some of them and you two will decide the ones you wanna get in. If you want I can send you some demos for you to choose."

Nicki and Drake nodded. Wayne started playing the tracks he had in mind for them and people we giving their options about it. The meeting went on for another forty minutes. After that, they just chilled at the studio. Some left, some stayed. Nicki wanted to leave too, so she grabbed her purse, said goodbye to everyone and left. Without anyone noticing, Drake left the room and followed her until they were outside.

"So... Labelmate." He bumped her hip to hip making her stumble, but she didn't fall. She stood still in her tracks with her arms crossed.

"Leave me alone Drake."

"Sorry." He put his hands up in the air. "I just wanted to invite you for lunch."

"You know I could have fallen."

"I said I was sorry."

"Thank you." She continued making her way to the car. She was about to open the car door but Drake stood in front of it.

"What th-..."

"I'm waiting for an answer."

"Gee, lemme thin-... No!"

"Come on, just one lunch. What's the worst thing that could happen?"

"You have a girlfriend."

"She's my fake girlfriend, remember?"

"Have some respect for the fakeness."

"Do you realise how messed up that sounds?"

Nicki stood there thinking for some brief seconds. "Let's go."

"To where?"

"Don't make me lose my patience. To lunch."

"Alright."

***

"So, you're taking me to Starbucks for lunch?"

"It was kind of short notice. You were actually hungry?"

"No, not really."

"Good, let's go." He said and got out of the car. Nicki sighed and did the same. They walked in and went over to the counter since it was kind of empty.

"Hello and welcome to StarBucks. May I take your order?"

"Hi, I'll have a Caramel Brûlée Latte." Drake said.

"And a Mocha Cookie Crumble, please."

"Alright, coming right up."

"You can go and find us a table. I'll bring the drinks." Drake said to Nicki. She just walked away and sat on the first empty table she saw. A while after, Drake came and handed her her Frappuccino.

"You know what this reminds me?" He asked.

"What?"

"The first we went out together."

"Oh... You still remember that?"

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I?" He flashed her a soft smirk making her blush so she looked away. She didn't want him to see her blushing. "So, did you tell Safaree where were you going?"

"Yeah. I texted him and said I was with you to start writing the verses for the songs."

"Cool."

"Which is what we're gonna do." Drake looked at her an are-you-serious face. "Just please collaborate here. I did not just agree on this for personal reasons. What we have right now is strictly business and I do not want to get tangled with your life."

"I understand." He gave her simple nod. Suspicious but convincing.

"Well, that was easy... Anyway, what do you think of BedRock?"

"I think it's pretty awesome. I might get in it."

"Yeah, me too. I have this idea in mind. I want your opinion..."

She reached for her notepad inside her purse and showed him some work she has done. They work for the next hour and when they were done the order another round of drinks that they consume on their way home. Since Nicki had went to the studio with Safaree, it was up to Drake to drop her off at her apartment. And that's what he did.

As soon as she got there, she took a quick shower then a nap. She had set up an alarm for later to pick up her son from school.