009

december 27th, 2023
4:18 pm

december 27th, 20234:18 pm

"SHE IS SO CUTE." Ayoluwa cooed over the crib of Jalen and Noelani's ten month old baby.

"What's her name again?" Ayoluwa turned her head to look at the couple who were standing near the door of the teal nursery.

"Alani." Noelani answered, "Alani Brianna Green."

"Brianna? And another 'Lani' in the family?" Ayoluwa teased.

Noelani rolled her eyes playfully at Jalen's grin, "I wanted a Hawaiian name and that was the only way it was gonna happen. Brianna is for Jalen's mom. Her name is Bree."

Ayoluwa looked back at the baby, noting her dark eyes, brown skin and sandy brown hair, "She looks just like Jalen but with your hair color. That's crazy."

"I know. Isn't it great?" Jalen was boastful, crossing his arms as he came over to examine the child as well.

"Ten hours of pushing after nine months of carrying for her to look like him and get his last name," Noelani shook her head, "Pregnancy is such a damn scam."

Alani started to fuss a little and Jalen picked her up, cradling her head on his elbow.

Ayoluwa grinned at the sight of Jalen doting on his daughter.

"Stop picking her up so much. You're gonna spoil her." Noelani said.

Jalen stuck his tongue out at her as he exited the room with their child.

Ayoluwa looked around the marine animal themed nursery room, noting the rocking chair, the stuffed animals, the changing station by the window and an array of picture books stacked on a white shelf and let out a little sigh of desperate want.

A year ago, Ayoluwa would've sworn on her life that her and Joshua were headed down the exact same path, kids and hopefully marriage, but now... Now, she wasn't sure about anything.

"You okay?" Noelani asked.

Ayoluwa sighed again before turning around to face her friend, "Can you close the door?"

Ayoluwa didn't have a lot of girl friends...

Okay, she had no girl friends except for Noelani.

Due to their boyfriends being best friends, the two had decided years ago that them being friends as well would be a good decision.