027

march 9th, 2024
7:18 pm

IT DIDN'T FEEL LIKE IT WAS Ayoluwa's birthday

Especially with all of her friends on the other side of the country and she had no one to celebrate with.

Ayoluwa stood behind the blinds in her bedroom, her hair still tied in a bun from her previous shower and surveyed the street.

Granted, she had gotten up a lot later than she usually did today but it was her birthday and a free day so she felt like she deserved it.

Firefly was laying in her dog bed closer to the door, still asleep in a nap and twitching just the tiniest bit.

Ayoluwa rushed towards the nightstand where her phone resided at the latest call and quickly answered, "Hello?"

Her sister, Jamal, Camille and Shareef had already called her.

Even Robert had texted her a quick, 'Happy birthday superstar'.

But nothing from Joshua.

I'm stupid for even expecting anything.

Dior's rendition of Happy Birthday was her answer, "Happy birthday to ya. Happy birthday," He dragged out the word.

Ayoluwa snickered a little at his singing, "Oh my god. Oh my god, stop. Never sing to me again."

Dior kissed his teeth, "Unappreciative ass. Are you doing anything today?"

"Other than continuing this prenatal yoga video I found? Nothing. I might take Firefly on a longer walk but..." Ayoluwa shrugged.

"Damn. I wish you were out here. Me and Reef would've made sure that you had something to do." Dior replies.

"It's fine. Just make it up to me when I'm back home." Ayoluwa adjusted her hoodie as she people watched from her window.

There was a young couple across the street, walking a fully grown golden retriever hand in hand.

Ayoluwa watched as the man stopped in front of the woman while digging in his pocket.

The man pulled off his sneaker, dropped down to one knee and flashed the ring.

"Aww!" Ayoluwa said.

"What?" Dior asked.

"This man proposed across the street from me," Ayoluwa replied watching the woman yell the word 'yes' in an exuberant tone.