016

january 30th, 2024
11:52 am

JOSHUA WATCHED, HIS ARMS CROSSED as Ayoluwa's piano was lowered safely to the street below by a team of ropes

A team of movers had been in the penthouse since nine, moving her clothes, shoes and finally her collection of both electric and acoustic guitars.

Joshua had sat on the couch and watched it all, as every possession, every touch of Ayoluwa was removed from the apartment that the two had once shared.

Part of him still couldn't believe that she had left.

Joshua couldn't decide that if the feeling weighing him down was regret and disbelief or acceptance and a low level relief.

His cell phone started to ring in his hoodie pocket and after digging it out, Joshua answered the call without checking the contact, "Yo?"

"Hey. I'm coming up the stairs now. Are you ready?" Letitia asked.

Joshua glanced at a man who was balancing three boxes in his arms as he passed, "I can't. The movers are still here."

"Movers? You're moving?" Letitia asked.

"Not me..." Joshua trailed off.

Letitia paused for half a minute, "I'm coming up. Give me like twenty seconds."

Then she abruptly hung the phone up.

Joshua stood and slid his feet into a pair of sneakers just as Letitia came into the doorway, barely avoiding a mover.

"What's going on?" Letitia asked as she walked forward to meet him.

Joshua shrugged, "Ayoluwa dumped me."

"Are you okay?" Letitia's face contorted with concern but Joshua waved it away.

"Aye," A mover with a dark brown goatee called to Joshua, "This is the last box."

Joshua nodded, "Okay."

The final mover disappeared around the hallway of the apartment building.

"Are you okay? What happened?" Letitia repeated.

"Let's walk and talk." Joshua said as he ushered Letitia gently out the door then locked it.

"You know how I came to your place after that gala thing?" Joshua asked.