040

april 21st, 2024
2:24 pm

IT WAS CRAZY HOW ALMOST DYING changed everything for Joshua

His perspective, his mindset and the superficial things he once cared about were gone, painfully ripped away by the fact that if the ambulance had gotten there thirty seconds later, it might be a completely different story.

If Joshua closed his eyes he could still see the headlights of the other cars around him, still feel the impact of the searing metal bouncing against the left side of his body.

His head was completely and utterly fucked up from this.

Joshua stared at the ceiling above him, the tv in his hospital room on a low hum, just enough to create some background noise.

Joshua turned his head to stare at the clock, trying to determine the time.

Ayoluwa always came and visited him around the same time everyday without fail.

Sometimes she brought visitors with her, sometimes she was alone but she always came to see Joshua, rain or shine, snow or sleet.

And while Joshua loved her for it, this meant that he required time to sit up by himself and force a smile on his face despite his pain and mental exhaustion.

Ayoluwa already felt guilty enough about what happened and Joshua didn't want to add on to it by revealing just exactly how traumatized he was, especially when the blame wasn't on her in any way.

It's that dumb ass driver's fault.

Sure enough, as the clock turned its hands towards 2:30 in the afternoon, Joshua could hear the quick pitter patter of feet coming closer and closer.

With a low groan of pain, Joshua managed to sit up in the bed, trying to ignore the ache of his ribs.

She was dressed in a tie dyed maxi dress that could stretch to accommodate her expanding waistline and in her hands was a slightly greasy bag of Shake Shack.

"Hey, Josh. How you feeling today?" Ayoluwa asked before leaning down to kiss his forehead and Joshua tried not to wince at the physical contact.

That was another thing about almost dying, it forced you to reevaluate certain people and certain situations.

Joshua had treated Ayoluwa like shit before and it was getting harder and harder not to feel guilty when he looked at her.