031

march 23rd, 2024
8:31 pm

AYOLUWA HAD TO GET OUT AND buy a new dress just for tonight

None of her clothes were fitting her right anymore, one of the few downsides to pregnancy.

She adjusted the white, one shouldered maternity dress and tried not to show how insecure she was feeling.

It was enough to make Ayoluwa almost not come tonight.

That and the fact that she was waiting for the other shoe to drop when it came to Joshua.

He was finally acting like his old self, the self that had clearly been in love with her but a huge part of her was waiting for him to slip.

Ayoluwa and Joshua were waiting by a hostess stand at a five star steakhouse on the lower end of Manhattan.

The hostess, a Latina woman with wavy brown hair, came back to the stand and smiled warmly at them, "Josh Christopher, table for two?"

"Yes." Joshua nodded back.

The hostess led them to a white tablecloth covered table that was placed right under the chandelier.

Joshua pulled out her chair for her, gently pushed her in and then went to sit down on the other side, lightly dusting off his tie as he did so, "You look beautiful."

Ayoluwa couldn't help but to smile back, putting the white cloth napkin on her lap, "Thanks. You do know that we're probably gonna be photographed together tonight, right?"

"Like in Chicago? Yeah. Are you okay with it? The cat's gonna be out of the bag." Joshua asked.

"Ehh." Ayoluwa shrugged, "It'll be fine."

"Okay. If you say so, Palmer," Joshua snickered a little as he offered her the bread basket.

Ayoluwa plucked the sourdough and then a gold wrapped slab of butter and began to spread it around, "Don't look at me like that."

"Like what? I'm just looking at you Palmer." Joshua said in a low tone and his gaze intense.

"You're looking at me like you wanna eat me alive or something and that's how we got in the situation we're in now." Ayoluwa gently shook her butter knife towards him.

"Oh, an expecting couple!" An elderly lady hobbled towards Ayoluwa with her cane and reached out her hand to her stomach.