022

february 22nd, 2024
4:18 pm

THE IDEA OF FATHERHOOD excited Joshua more than he cared to admit

Open safari tabs on his phone were, in this order, baby clothes, cribs, a Google search for good prenatal vitamins and neutral nursery colors.

Joshua sat in a cafe in the meatpacking district, across from Letitia, and scrolled on a website that sold baby onesies and toys while he let his caramel macchiato cool down a little before he started to sip it.

The small cafe had an Italian aesthetic with an Italian flag behind the counter and a pizza oven that could be seen from the windows.

"This place is nice." Letitia said as she looked around.

Joshua nodded slowly, his attention still on his phone so he could type in his credit card information.

His thumb hovered over the 'order now' button at the bottom of the screen, wondering if he needed to get Ayoluwa's input on everything for their kid, including clothes.

"Are you listening to me?" Letitia asked.

Better to be safe than sorry.

"Hold on," Joshua replied as he began to screenshot the clothes one by one and text them over to Ayoluwa.

Then he screenshotted the website that held the prenatal vitamins and texted it to her as well, including the question, 'are you taking any?'

"Jay!"

Joshua blinked away his annoyance and then looked up, "Yes?"

"I've been talking this entire time and you haven't responded. Are you listening?" Letitia asked, her green eyes widened.

"I'm trying to do something. Give me a-." Joshua stopped speaking when his phone pinged.

Ayoluwa's text was short, 'Don't buy anything that's not gender neutral, remember we don't know the gender yet lmao, and yes I am on prenatal vitamins'.

He texted Ayoluwa back, 'Okay, great. Have you thought about J.J for him?'

'Who said it was gonna be a boy? We might have a little me.'

'My mom wants to know if you're carrying low'

'I'm not showing yet, dumb ass!'