veintiuno.

Swerving into the Giovanni Enterprises parking lot, Valerie wasn't surprised to find that the parking lot was already filled to the brim with cars. The building was huge so of course it's staff would be too, and a parking lot in New York was hard to come by, period.

However, time was of the essence.

The whole drive back to New York Nicki's scream was echoing off the walls of Valerie's skull. Goosebumps had appeared and hadn't left the whole drive there, and if one more thing happened to her she was sure to lose her shit.

She prayed the cold sweat she was in wouldn't cause her makeup job on her bruises to look splotchy. It was hard looking like she hadn't been involved in the fight of her life when she indeed had been.

And she'd have to keep herself made up for days, if not weeks.

As she drove up and down the seemingly endless rows of cars in the lot, she realized she'd made it to the executive row. People's names were painted on the spots as well as signs were placed in front in big no nonsense lettering. She even noted that Luca drove a red Model X Tesla.

The spot next to his beauty of a car was his father's. Romano Giovanni was painted loud and clear, but Valerie Stevens pulled into the spot with no remorse.

Grabbing her purse, Valerie stepped out of the car and the fall breeze that ran up her shirt made her starkly aware of what she was wearing. Turning and looking at her reflection in the car window, she winced.

This... is what she was going to show up as to accept the most prestigious offer of her life.

A damn hobo, but at least she had covered up her bruising with concealer.

And at least her ass looked amazing in these size too small leggings. With a shrug, she fluffed her curls a bit in the back and strut into the building.

Gwen, the receptionist, looked up and was visibly a bit taken aback by Valerie's more than relaxed appearance, but Valerie didn't have the time to even process it.

"Hey, is he back in for work yet?" Valerie spared the formalities. Gwen must've felt the tense energy radiating from Valerie because without protest she began to tap on her keyboard and nodded her head yes.

"Yes, but he's in a meet—" Valerie was already gunning for the elevator by the time Gwen got that out. All she needed was the yes.

More curious eyes were sent her way when she stepped off.

She wasn't a red head first

And now, she wasn't even business casual.

Not sparing anyone more than a simple nod, Valerie walked down the long, but oh so familiar hall to Luca's office. There was a single security detail standing outside, his stature stiff and he was stone faced. As Valerie approached him, he looked down at her expectantly.

She could hear Luca's deep voice behind the huge doors, followed by another gruff tone. They were discussing something passionately, but sadly she came to interrupt.

"I know he's in a meeting, but please tell him this is urgent." Valerie asked, desperation spiked her words. The man did not move, his brow creased. "Ma'am, Mr.Giovanni is busy right now. You're free to wa—"

"Tell him it's Valerie. Please!" Valerie begged, tears pricking her eyes. She crushed her purse to her side as a means to comfort herself, she felt so small in this big office. Even more so she felt as if her life was crumbling by the second.

The guard looked like he was very uncomfortable with Valerie's resolve crumbling right in front of him. He hesitated a few seconds before turning and stepping into the meeting room.