dieciseis.

The bloodied and bruised Jordan was a fleeting memory in Valerie's mind now, as she wandered around Marshall's Junior section of clothing.

She'd taken Luca's advice and had promptly quit working at The Drunken Leprechaun, and Lacey took the news very well which surprised Valerie. According to her ex-manager, she could tell life was getting to her and she definitely needed some down time.

Oh, Lacey you have no idea.

Also, with the thirty thousand she'd obtained now freed from being indebted to Luca and her rent plus utilities being paid off for a good amount of time... Valerie realized she could actually just live for a second.

She'd come across some great steals, as it's almost customary to find when at Marshall's. They were like a budgeter's dreamland; diamond-in-the-rough clothing everywhere. This time around she'd lucked up on finding a pair of Louboutin booties that were at least six inch tall, there was no way she was leaving them there with the price tag of sixty five dollars...

And to think just three weeks ago wouldn't even glance at something over thirty.

Valerie happily rolled her shopping cart into an aisle. She felt normal... knowing she didn't have to count out her pennies to just be sure for the umpteenth time she had enough money. It was such a foreign feeling, but it was absolutely freeing. It was surely addictive.

After she was rung up with her new shoes and a couple other items, Valerie packed it home and threw her shopping bag at Nicki's lap. The brunt of the bag hitting her thigh, she jumped a bit before looking at Valerie like she'd just launched a grenade at her.

Valerie beamed back at her after she'd locked the door behind her. "Look in the bag!" She gushed excited to show off her new things.

With a shrug, Nicki grabbed the bag and fumbled through it. First pulling out a pair of dark washed ripped skinny jeans, which she messily folded before reaching for the next item. A deep crimson long sleeved body suit with a Gucci label, Nicki gawked for a second.

"Please take me wherever you got this..." She whispered in awe.

Beaming brighter, Valerie plopped down next to her mesmerized best friend. "Honestly, if you don't already shop at Marshall's what are you doing?" She joked as she took her new wardrobe pieces and folded them gently in her lap. Nicki's shrugged as her response, her expression bored as she glanced at the mumbling TV screen. Then her eyes lit up and her head swung in Valerie's direction, a mischievous grin inching its way across her lips.

"I know what we're doing though... tonight." Nicki devilishly gushed. Valerie couldn't help, but roll her eyes. She hated when Nicki got bright ideas for a night out. Often they were down right dumb and dangerous... though very tempting to go through with.

"What do you have in mind, ma'am?" She obliged the girl to continue, even though a 'no thanks' was on the tip of her tongue.

"Let's go to Nightcrawler! You literally have no excuse not to. Not even your lame 'I have no clothes Nicki'" Nicki mocked her in the last sentence making her sound as if she was a whiny baby... which Valerie definitely did not appreciate, but it was very true.

Sighing she looked down at the clothes in her lap, then back at Nicki's dancing eyebrows imploring her to say yes.

"Oh I guess—" Valerie agreed, but was immediately cut off by Nicki's wild squealing of excitement.

"But!" She had to yell to get her voice over the happily screeching woman, "You have to promise me you won't go crazy with the drinking. I swear if I have to carry you out or pull you away from a weirdo I will never go out with you ever again."