veintidós.

When Valerie slowly opened her eyes the next morning, she felt as if she was being suffocated. A huge weight was over her chest and the room was completely foreign to her.

Like a million camera flashes her memories came flooding back to back. Each one like a slap in the face until finally it registered where she was and who she was with.

Slowly she looked down to see what the weight was on her chest and found it was Luca's arm. He was wrapped around her like he was afraid she was gonna run away in the middle of night, and she was surprised to find herself so close to him too. Her body was turned into him and instead of her head resting on a pillow... it was his other arm.

It seemed as if in their sleep, they called to each other.

Now that she was awake though, nerves were taking over and Luca's body was incredibly hot— in all the wrong ways right now. She was sweating.

Valerie couldn't help but notice how at ease he looked when he was sleeping. Long gone was the frown he wore so prominently everyday. He looked his age, twenty-five.

Her hand had a mind of it's own, reaching up to stroke the fine hairs of the shadow of beard he was beginning to let grow in. The stillness of the morning and the only noise being Luca's deep breathing made for a very intimate moment.

Valerie was in absolute awe of what she was experiencing.

As she continued to softly stroke his face, Luca began to stir. He didn't startle to wake as she did, the arm around her waist tightened and it brought her impossibly closer to his chest as he stretched his free arm with his eyes still closed.

She held her breath as she waited for him to open his eyes and look at her. She knew she looked absolutely nuts, her hair was definitely a bird's nest.

When he finally did open them, he deeply laughed. Using the hand that wasn't coiled around her to flick back the coily tendrils that covered her face. "You look beautiful. Why do you look so nervous?" He rasped, stretching against her once more. The soft lighting in his room making him look like every bit of a fallen angel.

Luca was never this undone in public. His hair was a curly mess, almost like hers. The black mane hung over his left eye like a typical bad boy with fringe. He was everything edible.

All the muscles in his body seemed to be calling her name as they pressed on her while he finished his stretch. Valerie was breathless, so all she did was shrug.

He smiled down at her with a warmth that felt almost like she should avert her eyes.

"How did you sleep?" He asked next, moving his arm from around her to reach over her head and grab his phone from the nightstand. She caught that it was just barely eight a.m. from his bright screen. "Like a rock." Valerie answered back softly. Clearing her throat a couple times to get the gravelly sound out of it.

Nodding at her answer, Luca seemed to be entranced by his phone already. His thumbs were going at a rapid pace on the screen.

Seeing this distraction as a perfect time to go freshen up, Valerie rolled out of his bed and took the liberty of sliding on the almost gigantic Nike slides that were on the floor as her "borrowed" house slippers.

She made her way into his ensuite bathroom, and wasn't surprised to find it starkly clean. A far cry to how she and Nicki kept their bathroom at home.

Nicki.

Valerie's heart seemed to fall right into her stomach. Nausea taking over her headspace as she steadied herself on the bathroom sink. She could not believe the predicament Nicki was in.