Part 18: Tomorrow

Dream's POV

"Guys, Y/N's birthday is tomorrow! What should we do for it?" I started making breakfast while Wilbur, Tubbo, Quackity, and Techno were on their phones.

"Uh, I don't know. Nothing? She's an orphan." I gaped at him before he burst into laughter. "I'm joking, I'm joking. We should do a party."

I was left reeling from his joke for a second. Tubbo looked up. "We should do some sort of theme, or like dress up!"

I smiled at him. He had good ideas... sometimes.

"Why don't we just ask her what she wants to do?" Quackity looks at us.

"Yeah, we could do that." I focused back on the French toast I was making.

Wilbur has kept quiet. I wonder why. He usually speaks up when it comes to Y/N. He hasn't talked much since she tried to commit. I'm worried about him.

I serve the toast to everyone who is down here. I notice Wilbur just looking at the food, not eating it.

"Wilbur, you need to eat that." He looked up at me. Sadly, he nodded and put the breakfast food into his mouth. He ate slowly, but he still ate it. And thankfully, he didn't go to the bathroom afterwards. So, he didn't purge. That's good.

After everyone has come down and ate breakfast, Wilbur walks over to me.

"Can I talk to you? Privately." He asks, his tone is full of grief.

"Yeah, sure." I lead him to my bedroom. "Are you okay?"

"Honestly, no. I feel like I failed her. Maybe if I had noticed sooner, this wouldn't have happened. I could have prevented this. I could have-"

"Wilbur, stop. You couldn't have done anything. It's not your fault. Okay? None of this could have been prevented."

He nods, but tears still linger on his face. He looks younger and older at the same time.

"You can't punish yourself because of what happened to Y/N, okay? Promise me you won't neglect yourself." I look into his eyes.

He sighs. "I promise."

"Good. Now, we have a party to plan." A small smile forms on his face as I say this.

"Okay. Go downstairs and plan with the others. I'm going to call CPS."

"Do we even need to do that though? She's turning 18 tomorrow."

"She is? I thought she was turning 17?"

"Nope." Wilbur smiles at me. "You didn't know her age? Wow, Dream. Such a fake fan."

"Oh, come on now. That's not fair."

"Let's go back to the others."

Y/N POV

I sat on the back porch. The birds are chirping and the sun is shining down. It's already hot, and it's not even 11 yet.

My birthday is tomorrow. I never celebrated it after my mom and sister's death. It always just reminded me of them. We would always do something together for it.

We used to go out to dinner on our birthday. We would have extended family come over for a little bit. But that all ended after the car crash.

My dad became a drunk and never remembered it. I would spend the day doing nothing. Since it's in summer, I'd just sleep the day away. It's easier to get through it that way.

I've thought about this a lot, but I don't want to grow up. I hate change. I don't want to have to take control of my own life. I'll be turning 18 tomorrow. (For the sake of the book, Ranboo is 18.)