Qualifier 3: Mario VS Donkey Kong

A star flickered to life, like an old lantern

A star flickered to life, like an old lantern. Hollow and dim. It began to rise, shining it's warm light over a land that hadn't been there only moments ago. Dry, cracked ground formed, ancient sandy bricks climbing out of those cracks, forming structures like fallen castles or stairs to no where. As well there were pipes, old copper that had turned green with age, vines and vicious snapping plants growing out of them.

The world split, the sun rising in line with the chasm, turning the sky blue. Puffy clouds watched over from above, swirling in the open sky.

At last the stage was set, and the lights brought down the fighters.

4

For Mario, it'd been a while since he'd been in any real fight. His last one had been against Colepepper, but that was weeks ago, and it had been considerably longer since the last time had to fight something as big as DK. And he knew this time he didn't have those magic flowers... or his brother... to help him.

But still? How hard could fighting an 800lb gorilla really be?

3

For Donkey Kong, it hadn't been that long since his last fight. King K. Rool had only been about an hour ago, if that. It wasn't the greatest threat DK had faced, but he usually preferred to cool off a bit more before his next fight.

Still, how hard could fighting a pesky plumber really be?

2

Mario stood on one side of the chasm while DK stood at the other. The sunrise dramatically lighting them from behind as they contemplated their first moves.

1

At this point the rules were clear. Three lives each, no time limit, get your opponent out of bounds by any means necessary. Simple.

GO!

DK grabbed a fist full of rocks out of the ground, throwing it as hard as he could. Mario barely had any time to duck behind a staircase before they went flying passed him. That was the extent of what he could do however, as DK had already lunged across the chasm and slammed a palm into Mario, pinning him to the bricks.

"No hard feelings," DK grinned grabbing Mario in one massive hand. "But I'm winning this game!"

He flung Mario off the battlefield, pounding his chest in victory as Mario exploded into pixels.

___

Link walked through the gates of Hyrule Castletown, but... it wasn't the Castletown he knew. It was cleaner, more color, and everything felt just a bit smaller. A bridge crossed over him, and as he walked into town, up the inclined path and into the town square, he found something like a festival. Colorful carpets with different wares set out for sale, and bright streamers linking all the little houses together.