Prelude: Metroid

Samus threw her alarm  clock at the wall, rolling over and pressing her pillow over her head as  the communicator on her nightstand continued blaring

Samus threw her alarm clock at the wall, rolling over and pressing her pillow over her head as the communicator on her nightstand continued blaring. It wasn't the clock that had woken her, but her job. And the clock, though broken, was stuck on three in the morning.

Tomorrow's another day my ass.

Having only just returned from her first official Federation Mission, Samus was tired, angry, and bruised all over. She wanted to sleep, in a tub of ice... until she froze over and didn't have to deal with people anymore. And yet, somehow, despite having chipped the wall, the clock seemed alive and well enough to continue beeping it's errors. Except, it was also now accompanied by a loud static screeching. She shut off her communicator, but that only seemed to make the clock's noise louder.

Growling in frustration, Samus flung her blankets off and got up. She picked up the clock and shut it off, setting it back on the nightstand. "Fine," she sighed, looking at the sliding glass doors that overlooked the city. "I'll get up before the sun again, but this is the last time." Even as she leaned her head against the glass she knew she was lying.

This was her life now, it's what she signed up for. She made a deal with the Federation and this was her end of the bargain. They'd forget about her past, and she'd hunt down whoever they told her to hunt down. It didn't matter to the Federation whether or not she was tired, or injured. They aimed, she fired, anywhere, any when.

She'd hoped that after this first time, after her mission on Zebes, she'd at least be glad that her old enemies were finally defeated... but... Something about it felt empty, like even though they were gone, even though she won, it didn't fix the problem, it just prevented it from happening again. And she knew she should've been at least happy about that, but still...

"You could've given me a day," Samus said softly as she pressed her head against the door, her breath blurring the glass. "Just one day..."

She forced herself away from the sliding door and grabbed her Biotic Zero Suit; the living battery that formed the Gravity Suit around her. She didn't need the Gravity suit at the moment, but she'd need it later.

As soon as she was dressed she clicked off the lights and left the hotel.

___

Hours later she was sitting in her ship. Her old one was still in ruins back on Zebes, but luckily the Federation was kind enough to replace it with a Hunter Class Gunship. It was bulkier, which she didn't particularly like given she was often in some kind of space dog fight, but it did mean there was more room for cargo.

It'll do, Samus sighed, waiting to be cleared for disembarking.

They wanted her out by Tallon IV as soon as possible, but they were still going over her last mission report. This meant they were wasting her time since she wasn't allowed to do anything until they gave the word, which could be any time between three minutes and three days. So when-- hours later-- the Federation finally cleared her, she was already in the sky before they could finish giving her the 'okay.'