Prelude: Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong  swung his massive fist, barely missing his target and punching the mast  of the pirate ship

Donkey Kong swung his massive fist, barely missing his target and punching the mast of the pirate ship. He reeled backwards, a cannonball flying passed his head.

"Heh, that all you got?" DK taunted.

Before him stood the bipedal crocodile King, King K. Rool. Dressed in a crown too small for his head, and a torn red cloak tied tightly around his neck, he was deranged piece of barnacle scum that would pilfer the world if he didn't enjoy making such a mockery of Kong Country. He might've enjoyed mocking the island for a while, but his jokes and pranks took a dark and deadly turn not too long ago. Now... Now he pointed his cannon at DK as his ship tipped ominously in the choppy waters. Rain slicked the wood beneath their feet, and lightning lit the darkened sky above them.

"Ye shouldn't test me, ape!" King K. Rool growled. "Even now me foot soldiers are takin' yer island!"

DK propped himself on the mast, holding himself steady as he looked passed King K. Rool. "Yeah?" he scoffed. "Well I got friends too! Yo Diddy! Barrel roll!"

"What!?" King K. Rool exclaimed, spinning around. "That pesky monkey survived!?"

Suddenly a large barrel came crashing down onto the main deck. The rain made the floor too slick for King K. Rool to get away, and instead he landed face first on the deck. The barrel hit him dead on, knocking him into DK. In one swift move, DK grabbed King K. Rool by his cape and used the momentum to toss the fat crocodile King overboard.

King K. Rool hit the water with a grand splash, but he quickly resurfaced. "You can't drown me!" he shouted, aiming his cannon up at them. "I'm amphibious!"

He fired his cannon, but it was too wet to spark.

"You might be," DK laughed. "But your cannon sure ain't!" Diddy knocked another barrel down to him and DK threw it at King K. Rool, hitting him directly in the face.

"DK!" Diddy shouted. "Shore ahead!"

DK barely had time to look up before the ship crashed into the island.

___

Diddy opened his eyes to see the morning sky clear of clouds. All around him ship parts lay scattered in a massive wreckage. "At least we landed on our own island!" he chittered, getting to his feet. He pulled his tail out from under a board and checked himself for injuries. "Well my head's spinning, but I feel okay... Big Ape? What about you?"

He looked around, but couldn't see any sign of him. "DK!" Diddy yelled. "Hey DK! Where'd you go!" That's funny, Diddy thought. I could've sworn I saw him with me when we hit the island... "Wherever you are, stay put!" He ran off. "I'll go get help!"