Prelude: EarthBound

Ninten, Ana, and Lloyd  stand on the edge of the cliff of Mt

Ninten, Ana, and Lloyd stand on the edge of the cliff of Mt. Itoi. Rain dampened the grass at their feet, the only light they had being lightning that struck around them. Before them, hovering over the world below, is a massive space ship. From the ship, an advanced environment pod was raised towards them on the ends of giant mechanical arms, rain streaking down the glass shell. Inside it, was the alien entity known as Giygas.

"I am grateful to your family," Giygas said. Though his words were true, there was a bitterness in his voice, like he regretted saying it.

In response, the children prepared themselves. Powerful psychic energy emanated from each of them, despite their small size and very young age.

"Your great grandparents, George and Maria raised me." Giygas crossed his arms, looking down at each of them. "But George stole vital information from our planet that can be used to betray my people..." He raised a hand to them, a force gathering in his palm. "And now, one of his descendants is obstructing our plans, and must be stopped!!" Giygas shifted into a more powerful stance, holding both hands out and gathering energy. "Ninten! I am talking about you!"

A blast of inexplicable power crushed the cliff. But the children were unharmed, struggling against the force, but shielded by their own energy. They pushed back against Giygas' attack, repelling the beam.

Giygas' grit his teeth, pained and shaking, but not from injury. He was not using his full power, and the children knew that as well. He did not want to, for Ninten's relation to those who had helped him so long ago soured what needed to be done.

"I'm sorry!" Ninten stood his ground, glaring up at the alien. "But I cannot let you hurt my people any longer!"

"We will stop you!" Ana swore.

"Even if it means giving all we've got!" Lloyd promised.

"Go home now!" Giygas shouted. He fired another blast of energy, and to himself as his voice shook, he spoke. "Perish with the rest of the ugly Earth People."

Again, the children deflected the attack, but the strain on them showed. As the cliff began to crack and crumble around them, it was all they could do to stay standing.

"We won't surrender this world!" Ninten cried out, legs shaking as he put all his strength into his fists. "We can't! So give us all you got! You'll never win!"

"Foolish one," Giygas mumbled. "You cannot do a thing with your meager powers... Powers worthy of a lowly insect." He said these things to himself, as the children's energy matched his own. He could crush them... so easily... Why couldn't he? Why couldn't he convince himself they weren't worth it?

Maybe...

Giygas threw off the attack, staring down at them. "Ninten!" he called out, breathing heavily. "You alone, I may save you. Just you alone. Board our Mother Ship with me."