Quarterfinals 1: Link VS Kirby

The remaining seven sat around the table in the middle of the main room

The remaining seven sat around the table in the middle of the main room. Captain, Samus, Mario, Link, Falcon, Kirby, Jigglypuff, and technically Captain didn't even count as a fighter. Fox, Pikachu, Yoshi and DK were just gone, their rooms empty. Emerald and Morgana were still here, but Emerald was mostly quiet while Morgana was still resting, keeping his promise to look after her. With the Qualifier and the Successors/Redemptions Rounds over, they were in the Quarterfinals now, and the rules had changed yet again.

Now, the losers would be deleted from the game. But they were allowed to see the tournament brackets in advance, which meant they had a decision to make...

Samus pressed her hand to the table. "We should use all currently available data gathered from the previous matches to determine who the strongest remaining fighter is. Whoever that ends up being, we can stack things in their favor, make sure they make it to the end without any hassle."

"I second that!" Falcon threw his hand in the air like they were already voting. They weren't.

"We should continue as normal," Captain explained. "We can't stilt the results in anyone's favor."

"I agree," Mario said, surprising most of them. "We let fate decide who crosses th' finish line. Otherwise it'd be unfair t' anyone we decide is jus' 'too weak'."

"Nothing in this game is fair," Link huffed. "I say we refuse to fight until these gods step down to deal with us themselves."

"And I'm telling you it's more unfair than that," Captain leaned back in his seat, shaking his head. "You're all still operating under the assumption you have a choice here. It doesn't matter what you want or what you decide. We're playing this game their way."

Kirby made a grumpy noise directed at Samus.

"You're siding with me?" Samus asked.

Kirby nodded enthusiastically.

"Smart," Samus smirked. "Three, to two, to one."

"Votes don't matter," Captain sighed.

"Not unless we stand together!" Link argued. "They heard me, you said so yourself. It's the only way to finish this thing now with us in control."

"I agree."

Everyone's attention was turned towards the hall. Using the wall to support herself, a half-asleep Morgana was back on her feet, but it was clear staying awake was a struggle.

"Sorry Captain," Emerald said sheepishly. "She said she wanted to listen first."

Captain got up and held her before she fell over. She let him lead her to a chair, but she still sided with Link. "I don't care what they said to you," Morgana spoke quietly, trying to use as little energy as possible. "We can't beat this by playing their game, not if they get to change the rules."