Prelude: Super Smash Bros.

Unbeknownst to the rest of the universe, a small child sits in his bedroom all in his lonesome. It was another long day at school, and the child was finally able to sit somewhere comfortable. The hard-backed chairs at school were always such a pain to sit in for so long every day, and the material they tried to teach him was either boring or nonsensical. He didn't care much for his teacher, or the other kids. They were all boring and nonsensical too.

But now that he was home, laying on his bed, there was only one thing on his mind.

Removing himself from his seat of comfort, he kicked his bag away and rolled over the edge of his bed. There, he dropped to his knees and opened the latch on his toy box. His dad had made these for him the other day, these toys.

They were small plush figures resembling the characters the child favorited from his video games. Characters like Mario, Link, Pikachu, and many others.

He scooped them all up and sat them on his desk, then pulled his bag over as well. He took out his books and started stacking them. Platforms and towers and dangerous pits, the child constructed arenas for his champions to fight in. Then he took two of his fighters, and stood them up on one of the platforms.

"It all started with just a simple picnic," the child whispered, lowering his head so that he was eye level with the platform. He moved the combatants closer together. "But then, things went horribly wrong when... oooh noooo!"

Mario tripped Yoshi, causing the dinosaur to fall flat on his face.

"Mario you big meany!" the child whined, voicing a sad and injured Yoshi. "Always causing trouble! Well, my friend'll show you!"

Leaving Yoshi to lay wounded on the battlefield, the child picked up his next fighter, Link. Link stood across from Mario, brandishing his blade and ready to take any hit from Mario with his shield.

"But this hero doesn't fight with his words," the child continued narrating. "The silent, mysterious Link prepares for battle, and even Mario knows when he is outmatched."

Mario took a bow, stepping away. "I-a surrender-a!" the child exclaimed in a terrible Italian accent. "I-a know-a you are-a too strong-a! I sorry!"

Mario took a swan dive into a pit and Link helped Yoshi back on his feet.

"Thanks Link!" Yoshi beamed.

"The hero nodded, tucking his blade away and beginning to return to where he came from," the child moved Link back to the other side of the platform.

"But wait!" Yoshi exclaimed. "I think there may be more enemies to fight!"

"Yoshi was right!" the child exclaimed in shock. "Suddenly--!"

Captain Falcon dropped into the battlefield, Fox beside him. "Like, stop right there!" the child demanded, Falcon pointing at Link in an exaggerated fashion. "You've hurt Mario! And now, his brother has put a bounty on your head!"

Link turned back around in shock.

"Oh no!" Yoshi exclaimed, fainting from surprise.

"Yes!" Fox argued. "And now you've got to come with us, or we'll put you in time out! Permanently!"

"Link stood once again ready to challenge the new... er- the new challengers!" the child smiled. "But once again, he remained silent."

"No words, snot face?" Fox taunted.

"Like, this fight'll be easy!" Falcon grinned.

"Or so you think," the child laughed. He turned all the characters to face him. "But you haven't even realized your greatest opponent--!!"

"Hey are you home!?" a voice yelled from downstairs.

Startled, the child dropped his toys, a few of them tumbling to the floor.

"Yeah mom!" the child yelled back. "I'm doing homework!"

"Okay! Make sure you get your work done on time this week! I don't want to see another F on your grades!"

"I know mom!" the child moaned. "I'm working on it!"

The child took another look at his toys. He couldn't leave them like this, but he really did have a lot of work to do.

So, he'd settle it here.

Picking up the ones that fell, he put every character on the board.

"I-a realized-a I was-a wrong-a," the child said in a higher pitched Italian accent, now playing Luigi. "I-a see-a my-a brother-a was-a being a bully, so I-a call off-a the bounty-a."

"Captain Falcon and Link shook hands, parting ways," the child narrated. "But one day, they knew they would meet again."

The child jumped off his chair, leaving the toys on the battlefield and taking some of the books from the other arenas with him.

Hopefully later, he'd have more time to play.

________________________________________________________________________________

Super Smash Bros. Prelude

There are few sandbox games better than Smash Bros.

On one hand, you have the game itself, with an ever growing cast of all-star characters from so many different worlds and stories that we actually get to see fight in a (mostly) balanced medium. Mario VS Sonic VS Solid Snake would've never happened anywhere else.

But on the other hand, there's the outside perspective. If these characters really were in a room together, or on the battlefield against each other, how would they interact?

It's entirely up to you.

Or me.