Twist Ending: No Time For Goodbyes

Mario looked up at the all-powerful Master Hand

Mario looked up at the all-powerful Master Hand. "Aiight," he grinned, gathering fire in his fists. "Now we do this right."

He took a step towards the deities, and from his step cracks spread through reality, shimmering blue lights through which every possible outcome of every decision could be seen. All versions of reality struck out at him and away from him. He took another step, splintering reality into infinite shards of light. There would be no designated future, no gods. There would only be the then and now. From this point forward--

The third step sent cracks up through his leg, nearly pulling him apart. He staggered, but remained upright, glaring up at the unchosen gods. "Well...? Say somethin'!"

"... If this is the collective decision... then so it must be... But I have already warned you. You will suffer great and terrible loses, for everything you gain. You will exist in a world of karma and extremes. There must be a balance, and you have broken it. To outweigh your desire for good, great and terrible evils will rise to counter it."

"Then we fight," Mario hissed. "Just like always. But we do it on our terms."

"... No... What you have done..."

"There's no telling what could happen. For all we know, you might have just committed a worse atrocity than I could ever conceive."

With that, Mario was left in darkness. Master Hand faded away into the nothing, and for a brief moment he could hear the echoing laughter of Mother Brain.

But... Then things could also be better than Master Hand expected, yea'?

Mario held on to that hope as his vision faded to a muddied grey.

...

. . .

.  .  .

No...

Mario fought to stay conscious. The power was in his hands now, he could control it. As every story in the universe flooded his mind, he focused on the friends he made and searched their minds for the stories they needed to go back to.

Of course, he was going to make sure those stories were done right this time. He saw the order of things, and knew what he needed to do.

___

Kirby found himself waking up in his little tree, back in Dream Land. The sky was bright, there was a warm breeze in the air, and he could hear the cheerful happenings of the nearby village. Everything was as it was, as it should be.

There was a new darkness coming to disrupt the harmony. There had to be. There always was. But this time Kirby would not be alone.

This time, Kirby would have all the friends he'd need.

___

Samus woke back in her ship, nearly kicking the console in front of her as she jumped out of her seat in alarm. She was back among familiar stars. The ship was fine. It was like nothing had gone wrong in the first place.