CHALLENGER APPROACHING

This time there was only the void

This time there was only the void. Endless darkness, endless silence, endless nothing. No lights, no rifts, no tears in the fabric of space and time, only nothing.

But I can feel my own existence, even if I can't see myself. I try to speak, but no sound comes out. Even my thoughts seem far away, if they were there at all. Lost... or, confused? I'm not sure what word to put to it all.

"Brett Randalls."

Hello? I can't see you... or, focus on you... Are you there? There's no up or down or left or right here, and I'm not even sure I'm moving.

"You have been walking in the wrong direction. Your path lays separate from the heroes you have saved."

Then what do you expect me to do? I thought I was supposed to lead them into battle, but this whole time I've been sitting on the sidelines.

"And now it is time for you to act."

A light appeared, small and twinkling

A light appeared, small and twinkling. But it grew, and as got closer to the light spread, reaching out. Captain could see himself now, and make out the shape of the hand that created the light. It was as big as a planet, and faded off into the darkness at the wrist. There was no body attached to it, at least not that Captain could see.

It was simply the hand of a god.

"There is a great and powerful evil rising in the depths of the universe. You've seen the form it takes yet know not its true name. It haunts you, for it fears you, and knows you beyond yourself. It will send its agents of destruction who will play to your assumptions and instincts, and you must defeat them."

Captain wasn't given the opportunity to respond. Instead light enveloped him, and the world around him began to shake.

___

Captain woke up gripping the sides of his computer, dim red lights flashing in his eyes and loud sirens blasting in his ears. He was nauseous, dizzy, and the only thing louder than the sirens was the ringing.

No... not ringing... singing. Something was singing in a high pitched whistle that threatened to make his ears bleed. Max isn't here to play his pop music... so what is that noise?