Chapter 14

With Wilhemina we prepared pasta, which we loved to eat most days, in all its forms. The atmosphere felt wonderful, it was always like that, we always had a little wine, with candles lit instead of light bulbs, and music in the background.

It seemed as if we were in a fancy restaurant, but what made it better was the never-lacking fun preparing the food, it was just the two of us and we didn't have to wear fancy clothes. Dinner was definitely the highlight of my day.

"I swear I hated algebra. I was good at it, but I hated it!" Wilhemina exclaimed. We were talking about our school days and the assignments we used to like and hate.

"Yeah, this usually happens, but it's always better than not being good at it and hating it." I laughed, and she nodded in agreement. "And what was your favorite class?"

"Literature, specifically the literature class that a high school teacher gave us." She replied. "She was very passionate, and she loved teaching. I really enjoyed the whole year's subjects."

I understood what she meant, many times it was not about the class, but about the way some teachers teach.

"And thanks to her, did you like literature?"

"Yes, she inspired me, and encouraged me to write." She confirmed.

Despite not having read any work by Wilhemina Venable, I was very grateful to that teacher, because the way her eyes shone when she talked about it, it was priceless.

"That's good, very few teachers manage to have that impact on a student and I'm glad you were one of the lucky few." I replied.

"And what was your favorite class?" It was her turn to ask.

I hated school, probably because I didn't like any of the classes, despite being good at most of them. That delayed me a bit in realizing what I liked, because some people enjoyed drawing class, others science class, others robotics class... but I hated them all, and without realizing it, I already was sixteen years old and I didn't know what I liked.

My parents put a lot of pressure on me about it, telling me that if I didn't choose a career by the time I graduated from high school, they would force me to study laws. I thought about it a thousand times, and Misty advised me that psychology was my thing, she used to say that I was the best at giving advice and I was very good at listening. She was right, I loved my career and I loved my job.

"Uhhh I really didn't like any, I didn't have a favorite but the only one I liked a little was Geography." I answered, taking the last sip of wine left. "I hated algebra, biology, chemistry and physics the most. It was difficult for me to understand them, but I passed those assignments with good grades because my best friend's father used to explain the subjects to me, since he was a scientist."

I remembered the times that I used to spend two hours almost everyday at Misty's house just for her lovely father to explain the topics to us before an exam, he knew how strict my parents were. I think even Misty's parents were more parents to me than my biological parents were, they did congratulate me when I won a test or class, they did listen to me, and they treated me like just another daughter.

Whenever they brought something for Misty on the way home, they would bring something for me too, when they went out, they would always ask me to go with them. Too bad, because my parents hated Misty, just because she was a "bad influence" and a "weird hippie". I wish my parents treated Misty like her parents treated me. Even if it was for education.

"What best friend? Jeff or Mutt? Or someone else?" She inquired.

My body tensed, it was obvious that she was going to ask if I mentioned her.