Chapter 5 - Bad News

"Dad?" I asked. He wasn't speaking so I was thinking something is majorly wrong. I heard sniffling and everything. I stood up and was going to get my shoes on when he spoke.

"Bo. It's your mama." My dad said. I was confused.

"What is mama?" I asked scared of what he is going to say. Daddy never cried or was extremely upset. He was when Mama was in the hospital from the hunter when I was really young. He also had tears when Tate broke his arm and was unconscious. He also cried when grandma passed.

"She has cancer Bo. Stage two." He said sniffling more. I dropped the phone. Mama has cancer? I sat in the recliner since I was closer to that and my eyes and mouth were wide open. Mama has cancer. How? She always did well for her body. She never did wrong.
"Bo what's wrong?" Kendyl said picking up my phone and kneeling in front of me. "Bo answer me please!" She frantically said looking at me and seeming scared. I looked at her and shook my head. She put my phone to her ear and I stood up. She moved away. "Mr. Bryan…. Yes, he is here he is walking into his bedroom….Is everything Okay?" Kendyl said to my father.

I went into my room and sat on my bed after shutting my door. I sat on the edge of my bed and put my head in my hands. How could this be? How could mama, the most not self-centered, most loving, most caring, most generous woman I know have cancer? How could god forsake her and give her cancer. Especially stage two? How did we not know before? Why is this happening to her? She is only 56.

I didn't know whether to cry or to be angry. What should I do? I need to go see mama now. I can't just sit here and sulk. Mama and Daddy need me. I got up and went into my closet and got my other boots. I grabbed a jacket and shut it. When I opened the door Kendyl was about to knock on it.

"Bo, please say something." She asked afraid and upset. It looked like she started crying. Why is she crying for my mama?
"Daddy told you?" I asked. She nodded and hugged me tight. Her tear stained cheek was on my chest. Her arms were tightly around my stomach. I put my arms around her.

"I'm sorry about the news Bo. I'll pray every night that your mama get's through this. She is a wonderful woman." Kendyl said. No offense to her but that didn't make me feel any better. It did to where someone cared but it didn't showing more of a realization that my mama has cancer.

"Thanks Kendyl. I'm gonna get going to the house if they're there." I said. Kendyl let me go and handed me my phone.

"They're at your parents. Your daddy told me to tell you to be careful if you're coming over and not to be a maniac. I told him you've already had 5 beers and that your daddy said to stay here. I'm sorry I told him about your drinking but I want you safe." Kendyl said scared of what I was going to say. I couldn't be mad at her even though I kind of was for her ratting me out.

"How the fuck am I gonna get there now?" I asked kind of nasty. I looked at my phone and say it was 7 at night. "I'm sorry." I said after I saw she had tears coming down again. I brought her to my chest again. "Can you please drive me then?" I asked her.

"I'd be more than happy to. We'll take…" She was going to say her vehicle but I objected.

"My truck." I said.

She didn't argue with me. Right now she knew was not the time to argue. I handed her my keys and we locked up my apartment. On the ride there we didn't have the music on. We didn't exchange words. She drove all the way to my parent's house trying to stay calm. I could tell she was upset but I am still trying to contemplate what was going on.

She parked in my normal spot and I instantly got out before she even turned the truck off. I walked up to the door and heard her running or quickly walking up to me. I opened the door and heard yelling. I looked at Kendyl and told her to stay back. I walked to the living room.