Chapter 9

"And there's the storm!" Elliot's mother exclaimed, annoyed.

"What storm?" Milly asked.

"The storm that's been on the radar for about a week," Elliot's mother explained. "I totally forgot about it!"

She opened the curtains and looked out into the backyard. The sun hadn't gone down yet so there was still some light. It wasn't going to last for long though.

"The storm isn't here yet so I'm guessing it hit somewhere farther from our house and knocked down a powerline," Elliot's Mother said thoughtfully.

"Is the storm going to hit us?" Milly asked.

She nodded, "Definitely, it should be here soon, probably thirty minutes at the most."

"Should I call my mom to pick me up then?" Milly asked.

"No!" Elliot shouted, he then composed himself and added, "it will probably be too dangerous for you to drive in the storm."

"Elliot's right, on the news there was supposed to be a lot of rain and high wind speeds which will continue through the night. Call your mom to explain this to her but you should definitely stay here for now."

"Okay," Milly did as Elliot's mother told her to do. After getting situated and prepared for the storm, the three of them started preparing for bed. Elliot's mother asked Milly to come with her. She got an oversized T-shirt and some sweat pants out of her closet.

"Sorry these are kind of old," Elliot's mother said while handing Milly the clothes, "you just didn't strike me as a night gown kind of girl."

Milly laughed, "You're right."

Milly noticed a picture on the nightstand, she didn't mean to pry but she was very curious. One closer inspection showed a younger picture of Elliot's mother in a fancy white wedding dress. She was standing beside a man about her age in the picture. He had pink hair, just a shade darker than Elliots, his skin was tan like he spent a lot of time in the sun, and his eyes were an inky black. He was wearing a suit and had his arm around Elliot's mom.

"Who's this?" She asked Elliot's mother.

Elliot's mother looked up and saw Milly holding the picture.

She smiled, "My husband, Elliot's father."