Chapter 10

"What?" Milly asked, confused.

"Yes," Elliot's mother continued. "This is a picture of us on our wedding day."

"Where is he now?"

Elliot's mother smiled sadly. "He's in the military, overseas. He's been there for about five years now."

She took the picture from Milly's hand and ran a finger along the frame.

"It's been the hardest on Elliot. He misses his father. I'm sure you know about his gardening?"

Milly nodded.

"His father used to garden all the time. He started the one in the backyard. He taught Elliot to garden when he was young and Elliot takes care of our garden so it will be ready for him when he comes back."

Elliot's mother wiped the tears off of her face.

Milly stood helplessly, unsure what to do.

Elliot's mother looked at Milly, "Why don't you go downstairs dear, I'm sure Elliot is waiting."

Milly walked downstairs into the living room and noticed Elliot on the couch with a blanket wrapped around him. He looked like a burrito and Milly couldn't help but laugh.

Elliot looked at her, his cheeks flushed. "Not funny," he said angrily. "The storm scares me."

A flash of lightning and a clap of thunder rang through the house. Elliot's eyes widened and he snuggled further into the blanket. Milly smiled.

"Elliot, tell me about your garden!" Milly said cheerfully, trying to distract him from his fear of the storm.

"Well," Elliot said shakily, "The sunflowers were planted by my dad, because they're my mom's favorite flowers."

"What else?" Milly asked.

"The hydrangeas are super pretty and I love the color scheme of purple, blue, and pink."

Hydrangeas are super cool and some of the flowers look like the exact shades of color of that on the bisexual flag!

As Elliot began to talk about his garden he became more and more confident. Soon he forgot about the storm and became lost in the fantasies of his garden.