Chapter 14

It took about five minutes for Milly to stop crying. She didn't feel any better but her eyes had no more tears to give. The wind blew around the courtyard and she shivered. It had been a while since Milly had cried like this, but Zander's words played right into her insecurities. She knew that he didn't mean it and he said the words out of anger, but she wasn't ready to forgive him just yet.

His words hurt no matter the intention. She had always been worried about her friends leaving her, figuring out that they didn't like her and finding someone better. Milly knew that she wasn't an easy person to get along with. She was loud, immature, selfish, and rude. Thinking these things made Milly's eyes prickle again and nose run.

"You have really good friends Milly, you know that? Make sure to keep them,"

Lia's words from earlier came back to Milly like a shock. Lia had warned her. Lia had warned her. Lia had warned her, and she hadn't listened. She was immature, she only took from her friends; she was selfish. Her friends had done so many things for her: Sean listening to her problems, Luke giving her a piggyback ride, and Haley helping her with her outfit. But what had she done? Nothing, Milly had done nothing. She didn't deserve her friends and she knew that now.

"Milly?!?!" She heard the shouts of Jake.

"Where are you?" cried Haley.

Milly shifted so she could see into the building. Haley looked around the hallway frantically and then visibly sighed. Jake noticed and moved closer to her. He said something that Milly couldn't hear and Haley nodded. He moved closer and hugged Haley and they continued on down the hallway.

Even when she didn't deserve it her friends were searching for her. This should have made her happier but instead she felt worse. How could she make it up to them?