85

||JACKSON||

As much as I didn't have the will to leave, as much as I urged myself to stay put and snuggle with him with every available second, all I could do was say I love him.

We roamed around the empty halls that were illuminated with neutral lighting, I would catch Zack glancing periodically. "I see how Ethan matters to you," he says.

Blinking, I let out a small chuckle and return to staring at my limping feet, "heh, yeah..."

"I just really hope he survives..." continuing with a frown. With that statement, caused a rush of anxiety.

A flash of memory sent me to a haze of dark and damp thoughts. The rumbling thunder and crashing rain. The creaking bridge and an image of a blurry person upon the edge of it. Death. Watching Kenny drop was the scariest thing I've ever come to experience. Yet, fate decides to test me once more and do the same to Ethan. The difference between these scenarios was that I had a chance to save Kenny's life, but all I can do now...

... Is wait with hope.

"I... don't wanna lose him," I winced, pulling back my emotions.

"Yeah, we all don't want to," Zack mumbled with similar sympathy.

-

Exhausted emotionally, I lost track of time and decided to head to the college campus. When I came out of the car door, I was greeted by Damian, Kenny, and Kyle who were sat down on a nearby bench, shaded by a tree, by the dorm entrance. Noticing my presence, Damian waves with a huge grin whilst Kenny and Kyle smiled softly. Though I didn't have much of the strength to interact so I managed to gesture weakly and focused on getting to bed.

When I made it past the entrance, the sound of someone approaching neared and I turned back to see Damian with a concerned look, "bro, is something wrong?" He asked.

The same question repeated over and over it almost became indispensably irritating. I know that sweeping everything under the rug wouldn't help, it would only come back forcefully and greater. A burst of strangling pain shot on my throat and I didn't even realize the trickling water from my tears, "No! I'm not okay! Why... is this happening to me?" I let out, falling to my knees.

"Jackson!" Damian rushed to my side, crouching with hands aiding me from collapsing.

Is this really how my story goes?

From the beginning, I feared of the new and unexpected attraction. Then, learning to fall further and harder for him, only to come out unwillingly right after. Nearly watched a friend kill himself, have my mother look at me with horrid eyes, and lastly to top it off with Ethan struggling to live just after confessing.

More people arrived, my vision could barely make out their forms until I heard them, "what's wrong with him?" Kenny, raised with awareness.

"God fucking dammit!" I wailed, crashing a fist to the floor as I wept. It all just hurts so much, "it's not fair..." muttering beneath each howl.

Damian, using his body lifted me up and assisted to reach our room. I could sense the other two trailing in case of help.

...

When we made it, he settled me down on my mattress, the trio sat across me on Damian's bedside. They waited patiently before I could recompose. Kyle noticed our small mine fridge by the corner of the room and figured that it would be considerate to give me a drink. I thanked his generosity and said that any would be nice. Soon, I'm currently sipping on soda, trying to calm down. "Please tell us," Kyle said.

Swirling the contents of what was left in the bottle, I sighed, "shit just gets worse and worse..." muttering.

"Ethan's... in the hospital."

"What?" Kenny stood up, "what happened?"

I figured it would be easier with context if they saw it themselves. When I mentioned and brought up the news of the article, the room fell silent with dread. A palm rested on Kenny's mouth as he stared at my phone in horror, "This, happened?" Equally in denial.

"What the..." Damian with a low voice.

"I don't know why or how, it just- did."

I then proceeded to explain the conditions of Ethan's behalf. The entirety consisted of them tuning in with a story sounding like it came out of a murder mystery show, "fucking hell man..." Damian grumbled.

"What kind of asshole would do that," Kenny sneered.

I shook my head, not knowing who would be capable of doing that to anyone.

-

After checking up, they knew they needed to give me space and rest. Kenny and Kyle eventually left with Damian to care for me. He always made sure my needs and requests are fulfilled. I could tell how sorry he is, considering the numerous events I'd had been put through these couple of months. For now, all I wanted was to sleep.

But I couldn't.

Hours flashed and I couldn't wink a single nap. My roommate had already slumbered peacefully while my sight locked above me, tunnel vision at the plain ceiling.

My head was just completely absorbed not just by what had happened in the past few days, but mainly because of scared for someone else's potential being ending. I've ran out of tears although I wanted to pour more.

What I had been dreading was manifesting into reality.

I just wish, this all ends with a happy ending...