11

|| JACKSON ||

"My time here's done," Ethan said aloud, grabbing my attention. He has his bag slung over his shoulder and was already making his way to the exit. Feeling impulsive, I rushed over to him and managed to stop him before he could completely leave. He looks at me with his bright eyes, "did you need something?" He asked.

Swiping my sweaty hands in my pockets, I sheepishly stuttered, "Hey... can I ask you for your phone number?" I shrunk my neck to my shoulders.

Ethan gives me a playful look and chuckles, "sure," he says, pulling a flip-phone out of his pocket. That must explain why he doesn't have any social platforms, he uses a rather old device. "Here," he said, lending me his cell. Gently brushing my fingers on his hand, I take it from him and pull out mine and entered my contacts.

After exchanging, I returned it back to him. I have his number! It would be embarrassing if I decided to jump chaotically out of excitement in front of everyone. "See you next time Jackson," Ethan flashed a smile before pushing the doors open and left. Seeing his figure disappearing, I took slow breaths to control myself. Turning around, I saw Kenny and the girl whispering in each other's ears by the counters as they watched the whole thing. Kenny came up to me with arms crossed, his eyes darted from my top to bottom. I gulped, "yes?" I said.

"Let's be real here, what is it with you about Ethan?" He said so sternly.

"What do you mean?" I said.

"Getting giddy over obtaining his contact? You make yourself overly suspicious. Do you like him?" He kept his serious look.

"Er... I like him as a friend?" I put up a fake grin.

"That's not what I meant," Kenny sounded frustrated, pinching the inner corners of his eyes and shaking his head. He takes a step forward closer and I took a step back, intimidated, "Do. You. Like him," he leered.

I let out a tiny gasp, I felt a drop of sweat tracing down the side of my face, "I... I don't ," I said, trying to sound convincing. Kenny and I froze in the same position for about 5 seconds, staring into each other's piercing gaze before he nodded. That's all he did before returning back to his station, shooting a look at the girl who remained silent the entire time. I let out a huge breath that I never realized I was holding in the first place. Placing my hand over my beating heart, I looked at Kenny. "Hey umm... should I wait until you finish your work for today?" I said.

"Don't bother, my shift ends at 9. Just leave my bike on the side of this place," Kenny shooed me as he leaned on the counter looking bored. I nodded and went out to take a breather. Who knew that someone like Kenny could be scary? Sighing, I headed to my car that's parked by the sidewalk and opened the backseat door. Taking out Kenny's bike, I placed it beside the restaurant as he said. I just hope that no one steals it though, it would be a shame if he had to walk home without a source of transportation. Wishing a silent prayer of good luck to Kenny, I got in my car and started driving back to the campus.

-

On my way to the halls of the dorms, I made it in front of my room. Placing my hand on the knob, I shook it just to realize that it was locked. Confused, I pulled my keys out of my pocket and turned it once I inserted it into the hole. As I opened the door, Damian wasn't here. Shrugging, I just took off my shoes and just relaxed on my bed with my blanket over me. I smiled, bring out my phone and admiring Ethan's number. I wanted to keep talking to him, but it would just seem unusual to send a message after only a few minutes of asking to gain contact. Just then, the door handle started rattling and I sat up from my bed. Watching the door swing open, Damian came in shirtless with a towel wrapped around his waist, one hand holding a duffle bag. His hair was damp and droplets slid down his built torso, "Oh shit, I didn't think you'd be back early," he sighs, tossing his carrier onto his mattress.

"Why are you like that?" I questioned him.

"I just came back from the showers after using the weights room," he said, going through his belongings and pulled out a stick of deodorant and applying it, "I thought of just getting here as quickly as possible to get dressed, I just didn't expect you here."

Since Damien was TopStar's major athlete, he was very well toned: he had really broad shoulders, thick arms and waist, almost as if comparable to Brad. I guess he lifts to. I'm fit and muscular, just not as beefy. "Umm... you wouldn't mind if I change here, right?" He says, his hands were already placed on the rolls of his towel.

With my eye twitching, I replied, "I'll just look away," I said, laying back down on my bed, turning exactly away from his view and focused directly onto my phone screen. I tried my best to ignore the rustling of fabric and clothes, I guess he just doesn't give a damn. "Hey Jackson," he said.

"What?" Still keeping my away on him.

"You know, I'm sure you're pretty strong. Working out alone in the gym was a bit limiting and dangerous without a spotting partner. Mind being one for me whenever you have the time?" He asked. Raising a brow, I faced him to see that he had already dressed up in a simple white shirt with black shorts.

"You want me to help you work out?" I said, confused.

"Yeah? That's what I said," he grinned. Thinking for a moment, I do need a way to keep exercising. Even though it meant partnering up with Damien, I could use the gym to keep maintaining my shape.

"I guess... sure," I agreed.