28

||ETHAN||

Dad had gone to bed early in preparation for work tomorrow. Here, I'm sat down on the living room sofa, staring blankly at the television that was playing a random channel that I wasn't necessarily paying attention to. I had received my recent paycheck not too long ago and am earning both money and satisfaction; although, it's a little new to me to have been promoted to prepare meals, and have two days of free time. Not only that, but I will be having friends over to catch up and get to know as well. In a way, both of them have quite the polar opposite characteristics. I do hope they get along with each other. Yawning, I suppose it's time for me to hit the sack too. Turning off the blaring monitor, I trudged to the bathroom and did my needs. Brushing my teeth and rinsed, I stare at myself in the mirror. Taking out my newly filled tube of medicine, I gave a long look at it. Ironically, knowing that having to take these from keeping away from depression makes me sad. It's sad that it has become a daily routine to avoid the potential inevitable. I just wish that one day, I could eventually stop and be happy without it. But for now, I popped one out of the container and took it in.

-

"Alright, I'm off to work," Dad shuffles in his police uniform, keys in hand, and ready with the front door open.

Walking up to him, I gave him a hug, "I love you dad, be safe."

He gives one in return, tougher and tighter, "I love you to son. Also, be a good host when the two arrive okay?" He says with a smile.

"Yes dad," I nodded. And with that, we waved goodbyes to each other as I watch him drive off. Turning back inside, I walked around to check out any sight of clutter and mess. Maintaining tidiness, I took out the trash, cleaned the bathroom, and did any other possible chores in the house to appear welcoming. They should be arriving in a couple of hours, but I wanted to keep myself occupied.

-

After minutes of cleaning, I've come to the point where I really can't do much anymore. I was left sitting on the couch again with the Tv on, searching for anything amusing to watch. Alas, none really appealed to me after switching from show to show. Then I thought, "Tv is mainly the only form of entertainment I kinda have..." pulling out my phone, I can't shake the feeling of not keeping up with society. People of my age have smartphones which allows them to do more than just message. Heck, even some middle school kids have the latest technology! Maybe it "is" time I should upgrade. Sighing, I just laid back on the couch and decided to take a nap.

-

Getting up, I rubbed my eyes. There was knocking on the door which woke me up. Blinking, I walked over to look through the peephole to see Jackson waiting, almost as if slightly anxious. Opening it for him, we both smile at each other, "hi there," we both say at the same time. I step aside for him to enter. Upon entering, he looks around impressed, "wow, your place is neat," he commented with admiration, "smells nice too," he added.

Oh yeah, I had lit up a scented candle in the process. Turning to where I had left it on the open kitchen area, it was thankfully still running; it could have burnt the place down since no one was watching. I looked at the clock to see that it was nearing lunchtime. "Are you hungry?" I asked him.

"Erm, I had only a snack since this morning because I was in a rush to get to class and do some work in the campus garden, so a little bit," he nodded. Understandably, I gestured him to make himself at home. I thought that it would be good timing if I could prepare the kimbap soon for Jackson, and Kyomi can have some whenever she arrives. Making my way to the kitchen, I opened the cupboards, fridge, and pantry to prepare the ingredients. Whilst doing so, Jackson was watching me by the sofa, "hey Ethan, do you have Snap?" He asks.

Laying all of the items in front of me, I looked at him, "umm... n-no," I frowned. Pulling up my phone as a reminder.

"Oh... right," he said sympathetically. It wasn't embarrassing long enough until he said something that surprised me, "you know what, when I get some cash I'll get you a new one," he said, quite determined with a grin on his face.

I looked at him, taken back as I waved my hands, "huh? Heh, there's no need for that," I let out a small heckle, thinking he was just joking without a clear punchline.

He shook his head, "no I'm serious. It'll be a gift and I think it would be nice for you."

I pouted, "Jackson..."

Just then, another rhythm of knocks alarmed at the front door. Jackson and I shared glances before he stood up, "I'll check," he said and started his way towards it. Leaning towards the peephole, hands on the knob, he sighs, "ah, it's her."