24

||ETHAN||

Carla is at the back working on the stove as I handled the front register again. Kenny should be arriving in a moment. People began entering the establishment, a few seem to be college students as well, though none were Kenny. After I took orders, I checked the kitchen to see Carla dealing with the food. When she finished, she handed me some of the dishes which I served when there weren't any new customers coming in. It was only then, after a few more minutes, the door opens revealing Kenny and a guy with him who stood behind, "take care okay?" He said before walking back out to which I presume is his car. Kenny waves a goodbye to and closes the entrance behind him.

"Hi Kenny," I greet with a smile.

"Hi Ethan," he says in his regular voice, but within his tone carried a bit of "irritance", if that even made sense. I watch him make his way directly to the back. From what I can hear from the kitchen, my coworkers greet him as well. Later, I could listen to Carla noticing his attitude to which Kenny replied along the lines of "annoying fuck from highschool." Without full context, I don't have an exact idea of what he means. It took a few more seconds before Kenny came out to the counters and stood beside me, "want me to take cashier?" He asks.

"Ah, sure," I nodded and stepped aside. Blinking, I walk into the kitchen and neared over to Carla preparing a dish, "is... is he okay?" I whispered with concern.

She sighs, "he's grumpy as always, he should be able to cool down after a while?" She shakes her head, resuming on the food, "something about seeing an asshole student from his past highschool..."

Puzzling, I recalled a few clues. Soon, I had a hunch on who was being referred but could just be a hasty generalization, "oh," was all I said.

Time passes and business was going smoothly. Jackson hadn't shown up like he usually does, but I shouldn't expect him to. I was about to take my leave when I heard my name called. Turning, I see Mrs. Pamela motioning me from her door. Shuffling, I walk up to her and enter her room, "take a seat," she points me to the chair in front of her desk. Settling down, she asks me, "so, I see that you're doing well at your tasks..." she begins.

"Yes ma'am," I nod diligently.

"Do you like it?"

"Yep, I do."

"Would you like to work on the stove on your next day?" She adds.

My eyes widen and brighten with excitement, "I-I would love to!" I beamed.

After we talked for a while, I was excused to leave. Walking over to Carla and Kenny, I told them the news and they congratulated. I said my goodbyes and began driving myself home. Oh my gosh! I can cook now!

-

Reaching home, I told my dad about it. He hugs me tightly, feeling proud and happy for the both of us, "well dome som, I'm happy for you!" He laughs heartedly. Knowing that I've been giving permission to finally prepare meals, I feel like a road of opportunities lie in front of me. Although, one drawback of it right now is that I'm not scheduled to work in two days. My father chuckles and pats me on the back, "welp, at least that's something to look forward to. I should visit sometime in that case," he smirks. I agree. Before I was about to head to my room, it early slipped my mind that I am low on my medicine, "oh yeah, Dad, I'm running out of medication, can you come with please?" I asked.

"Ah, sure buddy. We've gotta do groceries later too, in a while though," he replies, checking the kitchen and opening up the drawers and the pantry. Upon entering my room, I opened my blinds to let in some light and laid down on my bed. Heaving a sigh, I took a moment to relax.

I try to make sure that I don't get lost in my thoughts in a dark isolated room. Doing so would be mentally dangerous, especially during the winters. Instead, I distract myself by wondering how my friends are doing; although, with social media these days, it's where most of the interactions are held. Pictures of themselves having fun get posted there. Pulling out my extremely outdated phone, I pouted. "S-should I get a new one?" I murmured pathetically. I mean, I maybe could, but... having the mindset to save up scares me. I really want to use my money for college, but spending or investing could be a gamble sometimes. Well, I'll stick with my current one. No need to purchase an expensive version unless I really need to.

-

"So, how have you been feeling Ethan?" My doctor asks me as he writes down on a piece of paper, taking observations and notes of my experience.

Here I am in his office once again, "I'm doing quite fine actually, things are doing great for me."

"Good to hear," he smiles. After a few more testing, he gives me another bottle containing my meds. Me and my father thanked him and exited his room. It rattled as I walked. To be frank, this place can make fill me with different emotions. Sometimes in the clinic, I can feel anxious, nervous, happy, relieved, and so on.