90

||ETHAN||

I asked myself the same question, to wonder if this was indeed real. The way his fingers rubbed upon my cheek, what expression he has on his face...

I felt the overwhelming sensation crash in as I just burst out gasping, not in pain, nor agony, but relief and happiness. I sobbed, and reached out to engulf my arms around him, "Jackson!" I cried out as water stained my face.

I've hardly cried in my entire life...

The most I've shed was far when mom died. All this time, I've built strong walls. Dad always told me to keep forward, persevere, don't let anything break me down no matter what. Yet, here, I finally caved and sunk into Jackson's comforting arms who held me dearly with all his might.

The same goes for him as he gently presses his forehead upon mine as he listens to our silent trembling breaths.

Apart from my father, never would I have thought in my wildest dreams that I'd be so attached to a man and love him, to be so delighted by his presence alone.

When I thought for sure I was going to die, struggling to open my eyes on the floor that bled red from my body after being stabbed, my life flashed almost instantly. From mom, to dad, Kyomi, Noah and the others, then Jackson...

"He" is what kept me pushing because I would not want to leave this world for him to wander alone.

The terrifying thought of him waiting one day, thinking I had disappeared, and for him to find out that I have passed, for Jackson to remain here on the earth without me broke my heart...

"I missed... you..." Jackson could barely spew his words as he kept choking from the pain that strangled his throat.

-

How long have we stayed like this? I don't recall, nor do I care, because I want to cherish every single present second I have with him. We pulled apart to see how flooded with emotions we were. With his thumb, he gently wipes the corner of my eye. The quiet area desaturated to the point where Jackson only bloomed with light and color in my view. After so, he nears himself once more to slowly press his lips on mine. With a hand brushing behind his neck, I brought him deeper...

Opening my eyes, he stares at me with solemn pupils and lowered lids that portrayed a hint of worry. His vision downs to the wheelchair I'm sat on and questions, "are... you okay?"

That didn't matter. This stupid chair isn't what matters, "I'm okay," I shined my teeth with a grin, "it's nothing to be concerned..."

Remained unconvinced, he stands on both his feet while still keeping our hands entangle. Occasionally, his palms would caress mine, "can you stand?"

I sighed seeing how he needed confirmation. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I urged my sore legs to rise as my knees bent with a pang. Wincing, it only resulted in me slumping back down. Dad notices and limps over to my aid. "It's going to take time for him to recover. It's been a while since he got to properly move, but I assure he'll be okay soon..." he provides a doubtless face of confidence.

Jackson, as his anxiety wafts away, takes his time to comprehend the moment.

Although, dad didn't want to ruin the scene, but he still had to bring it up at some point, "you two have about an hour left. Sadly, the doctors need you to be in a safe and monitored room until you are ready to be discharged..."

Jackson glances at him before me.

...

Given the remaining time, I asked for permission if we could just stay outside by the entrance of this place. Dad said that as long as I don't go too far, and that Jackson is with me, it shall be fine.

Currently, as we gaze upon the city in the distance outside of the hospital, the low winds breezing over, the atmosphere felt freer. Jackson and I knew that staying indoors felt suffocating and constricting, and decided it would be nice to enjoy being here until I get brought back into my room. Frankly, the first few minutes we just enjoyed the comfortable company before Jackson started the conversation, "how are you feeling right now?" His head slightly turned down to me.

"I'm rather... happy..."

Jackson blinks, once, then twice, "how so?"

My eyes faltered but soon replaced with a cheeky smile, "because... I'm alive, here with you..." with my remaining ounce of energy, I had taken his hand again to linger them together.

Taken by my words, he starts growing a smile of his own.

"Hey, Jack..." I mumbled.

Raising a brow, he responds faintly, "hmm?"

I felt very meek, but I figured I'd come clean and convey everything built up in my mind. My mouth quivered, trying to figure a way how to start. Then, I faced him directly, to appreciate his handsome face and stare longingly at his eyes. I began, "this past week, I've come to learn more of how much it is to need someone...

A person who reciprocates and would always appreciate for who I am. At first, I was confused, puzzled, but now, it's all clear..."

I didn't want to weep during confessing, but...

"Jack... I-I want to be with you.

Grow old.

Love until the very end.

Stay together wherever.

Travel, sing, laugh, and cry..."

Within his eyes flashed a sparkle of endearment. This time, I took the initiative to kiss him. Embrace in our world, I said so,

"I love you, Jackson..."