30

||ETHAN||

While I was washing my hands, I had forgotten that I set my anti-depressant aside on the sink. Oops, I guess I was too tired and delusional last night. Picking it up, I opened the medicine cabinet and placed it back inside. After wiping my hands on the towel that hung on the rack next to it, I stepped out of the bathroom and walked back to the living area. From this distance, I could hear them talking, "I-I didn't know..." Jackson sounded mournful.

"didn't know what?" I intervened. Both of their heads shot at me in shock.

Jackson just appeared gloomy, while Kyomi shook her head, "ah, it's nothing," she dismissed the topic. Bewildered, I shrugged and decided not to push forward and take a seat with them. The atmosphere started thick so we tried to lighten up the mood and discuss about ourselves and our interests; though, it was rather more of what Jackson can learn about me and Kyomi and vice versa. He brought up at one point that we used to do Taekwondo together, but I don't recall mentioning it ever at all, though I replied nonetheless, "yep, I did it for maybe 3 months in total worth of classes."

"Woah..." Jackson sounded speechless.

"It was kind of a temporary hobby. Kyomi was the one who suggested it actually. I just thought it would be nice and convenient to learn some self-defense," I added.

"What can't you do?" Jackson said.

I tilted my head, "Hmm?"

"You're smart, you can dance, sing, cook, and Taekwondo? You're friggin talented!" He was so astonished by my repertoire. I must admit, I felt really flattered I couldn't hold back myself from blushing. He was so energetic and adamant about it, how cute.

"I guess so," I let out a giggle.

"Meanwhile, I'm average," he pouted.

"Ah, don't say that. You're pretty good at certain aspects too, for example: athletic, hardworking, outgoing, attractive, a-" I blinked, wondering how that last word had slipped out of my mouth. But it wasn't a lie, I did find him attractive, though I worry he would have taken it the wrong way. Jackson looked surprised in silence. His sight lowered to his lap, his face then too reddened with fluster, "t-thank you," he murmured. After I stopped myself, I let it slide and went along with it.

A chuckle broke out from the silence, "you two are funny awkward dorks," Kyomi smiled. Jackson and I just glanced at her, though we didn't know how to respond. "Anyways, what have you guys been doing recently?"

"Well, we did go do karaoke at one point," I mentioned and made eye contact with Jackson.

"Of course you did," Kyomi laid back on the couch looking more relaxed. Her eyes then drifted to me, "what about you Jackson, what do you do for fun?"

It took a while for Jackson to respond, almost as if he was evaluating what he can say, "well... I do football and basketball."

"Well, knowing that you're sporty, that was kind of predictable," Kyomi said, "anything else?"

Again, Jackson was taking his time to think if what he could tell. He closed his eyes and fumbled his thumbs together, "I read comic books?" He murmured.

"What kind?"

"D-don't laugh..." he retracted his view as he clasped his hands together. Kyomi and I shared glimpses at each other in curiosity before returning to Jackson. "M-manga..." he muttered, his face flared in embarrassment. Kyomi and I didn't laugh, nor did we speak, because to think that Jackson was so self-conscious about having an interest in manga was nothing to be ashamed of.

"Why would we make fun of you for that?" Kyomi said in amusement along with a grin. Jackson peered up to her but still kept his head low with a hesitant frown. "Dude, I think it's cool you like manga, anime even if you do. There's no need to be a closeted weeaboo nerd," she humored.

"Heh, closeted..." Jackson laughed it off nervously but shook his head and loosened up.

-

"Gosh, it's so nice to be together again," Kyomi smiled as she stood by the door with Jackson. For one last time, she came up to me for a hug. Sinking into her embrace, my heart warmed as we held each other. It felt surreal for my childhood friend who I had feelings towards before are back together. As we parted I see Jackson observing us awkwardly from the side. Thinking for a moment, I walk up to him. He shuffles, "thanks for having me over," he said with a sweet tone with an endearing expression. Seeing him, I went for a hug, catching him by surprise.

"No problem Jackson, it was nice hanging out with you."

He took a while to process it before I felt him wrap his arms around me. It lingered for like 5 seconds. When we finally let go, I looked at him, he had a face of many emotions, maybe cheerful, confused, sad...

Did I do the right thing?

"Anyways, I have to go now," Kyomi announced as she stepped down the front stairs, "bye Ethan, bye Jackson," she said with a wave before walking away down the urban streets.

Jackson gave a nod to me before taking back down a step as well, "bye Ethan," he shifted to a smile. I watched him part further before momentarily stopping for a moment to turn back to me. Taking a glimpse, he resumes walking to his car and getting in.