15

||JACKSON||

To my surprise, the gymnasium was much more well kept that what I have expected: the weights, equipment, and other objects were organized, the place is well lit with lights, though the gray walls make the entire area a bit dull. I was walking behind Damian who has his sports outfit on along with his bag. I don't plan to break a sweat now, especially in my casual attire. I'm just here to help out Damian if needed. There isn't anyone else here apart from a girl who is occupying one of the treadmills. Damian sits down on the cushions of a bench press and stretches himself, "you sure you don't wanna give it a try?" He says, nudging his head to other workout machines.

I shook my head, "next time," I said. I watched as he slides in about a hundred pounds on each end. I give him a somewhat surprised look as he lays his back on the rest. Moving to the back, I stood as I observed him lift the heavy bar. Damn, he's strong. "Tell me when you feel like giving out," I mentioned.

"Yeah..." he puffed as he expels energetic pushes. All I can do for now is wait. Taking out my phone, I wanted to give a text to Ethan. Tapping on the keyboard, I wrote, "hey Ethan, whatcha up to?" I waited for a while, but he didn't respond. Pouting, I peeked a quick glance as Damian who was still keeping a steady pace. I could see him begin to perspire. Not much was going on in here and the only sound the filled the room where the girl's footsteps and the occasional clanking the rang out of the metal bar Damian's holding. Going back to my phone Ethan had messaged me, "hi Jackson, I'm at Zack's place right now."

Confused, I replied, "oh really? Whatcha doing there?"

"At the moment, we're just playing video games," he says.

"Oh cool, what game are you playing?" 

"Oh... I don't know actually."

Tilting my head, my fingers clicked on each letter. Before sending, I realized that I can't ask him to take a picture because I'm very sure that his flip phone couldn't even snag an image, nor have the memory to even keep it. I wonder why he sticks with it though, he should get a new one. Holding on the backspace, I revised my sentence, "Ah, never mind, it's okay," I said.

"Jack..." I hear an utter. Realizing who it was, I quickly placed my phone into my pocket and wrapped my hands around the handles to help him lift it up. Oh shit, it's heavier than I thought. Setting it down properly, Damian drew a breath and panted heavily, "thanks..." he murmurs, taking out his water bottle and sips a tiny bit before relaxing. His head turns to the girl and remains that for a moment; then, he redirects it to my phone in hand, "texting somebody?" He asks.

"Yeah?" I nodded, trying to focus on my conversation with Ethan. Then I peeked again to see him looking at me with an unamused look. He stands up and approaches a carrier of dumbbells varying in different sizes. Observing each of the weights, he picks one in the average middle and returns to sit on the bench. "Do you often do lifts, Jack?" I say.

"Uhh, not really, sports is what usually keeps me in shape actually," I said.

"I see," he keeps going for a few rounds before switching his arms.

We've spent about an hour and had finally left the place. "Sorry for dragging you with me before having your dinner," Damian grinned, a towel wrapped around the back of his neck. All I did in response was shrug. Thinking, he shuffles his hand in his pocket and brings out a wallet. Raising a questionable brow at him, he pulls out a 5 dollar bill and motions it at me, "here, take it," he says.

I look at him in shock and shook my head, "I can't," I said.

"Nah, it's fine dude. You're probably starving right now. Take it as my thanks," he says. Staring at him and lowering to the dollar bill at his hand, I slowly take it. "Anyways, I'm gonna go take a bath now. See ya later," he nods before heading to the dorms. Tilting my head, he didn't seem to be the rude type of bastard I always thought he is. I don't know where this friendly trait of his came from, but... maybe he isn't so bad after all. Giving a look at the money he gave, I went to the cafeteria as I legitimately felt my stomach growl. I grabbed a quick sandwich and paid for it in the counter. Looking around, I noticed Kyle and also Kenny sat down together on a table. Curious, I approached the two, their heads looking up as they noticed my presence. "Oh hi, it's you, Jackson," Kyle smiled with a wave of his hand. Kenny, as usual, shrugged nonchalantly as he nibbled on his small cup of ramen.

"Hi Kyle," I grinned at him. Turning to Kenny, I spoke, "how are you?" I asked.

"Ooh, you two know each other?" Kyle smiled.

"Exhausted as always..." Kenny sighed. Kyle's smile faltered into a sad one as he slowly tapped on the surface of the table. I checked my time, it's about 9:15 now.

"So what are you two doing here?" I asked them.

"Oh, I just met up with him to give him some food and talk for a while," Kyle frowned, tilting his head at Kenny who's eyes just looked really tired with dark circles underneath.