32

||ETHAN||

"Finally, I've got someone to talk to within the kitchen," Carla grinned at me happily as we stood side by side in front of the stove. She was asked by Pamela to help me walk through the process, how some dishes are prepared, the ingredients, and the storage areas.

Tilting my head at her, I wondered with a chuckle, "do the other people in here not keep you entertained?" Beaming with an amused smile.

She sighs, "not really, they're usually just guys in their 30s with different interests; video games, drinking, drugs, and other stuff. Kenny may not be as interactive as you, but when he is, at least we can talk about things that we can relate to..." she concluded with a shrug. Considering that Kenny, Carla, and I are relatively close in age, she made a fairly good reason. Discussing about the final ends of our practice, she allowed me to have a test on my cooking ability. I stood in front of the stove and set the utensils with the ingredients aside on the counter and the top preheated. "Honestly, I'm confident you can make a pretty good dish. I can't get over your lunch last time," Carla commented, flattering me.

-

Adding in the final details, Pamela and Carla came over to inspect the product. With a nod of approval for the owner, she takes a bite of my beef wellington and grinned. The aromatic meaty scent and spices fluttered through the room and she seems to be enjoying it. "Yep, it's very good," Pamela said with such delight. She complimented and critiqued. After a while, she excused herself to go back to her office.

Carla turns towards me with a hand raised, "good job!" She says as I collide my palm with hers. Now that food can now be prepared by me, people are definitely sure to love this place. "You look excited," Kenny spoke, peering through the serving hatch. Even though his face still holds that stoical look, he appeared even more unusually tired despite being in the middle of the day.

"Of course I am," I grinned brightly.

-

With each hour hastes, so does my culinary feasts get served. For most of the time, I handled the kitchen. Only then do I rotate roles with Carla to help clean up some of the used cutlery and plates when needed. I felt really happy, having to earn and enjoy what I do is the best combination to stay positive. In all honesty, even though it isn't a very relatable thing for a teenager to say that they love their job, I'm glad to have this opportunity.

Soon, my work shift is coming to a close. As much as I genuinely want to continue, I can feel myself getting tired already. Carla said that she added a couple more hours for today; Kenny on the other hand is getting ready to leave at the same time as me. We both store our working attire away, I shuffled my belongings and waved goodbye to Carla as I passed by her who was cleaning out of the tables, "have a good evening you guys!" She cheered.

"Thanks, you too," I nodded in appreciation. Kenny had stood beside me and I went to the door first to hold it for both of us. He barely makes a gesture and exits with an expression of someone who has lost all of his energy at work. I frowned as I followed him behind and closed the main door. As we walk out, Kenny leans over to the place's walls, his back resting, his eyes closed, his nose taking in the air as he inhales a huge breath and lets it out. Looking at him, I felt concerned, "Kenny, are you okay?"

Slowly, he lifts his eyelids. He ever so slightly shakes his head from side to side, "no..." he barely mumbles.

Blinking, his fatigued figure isn't just for show, nor did he even deny his condition. Looking around, he usually parks his bike here somewhere; thing is, I couldn't find it, "w-where's your bike?" I asked.

Again, he doesn't reply verbally, he just shook his head.

"Did someone bring you here? Or..."

"I walked..." he sighs and slouches down with hands on knees.

I felt bad, really bad for him. I couldn't leave him here, especially since he's visibly on the brink of collapsing. "Let me take you home," I offered. Kenny lets out a sigh, his hand drifted to his forehead as he pulls up his bangs. With a motion of my hand, I let him follow me. He slowly straightens up and trudges alongside. We reach my car in my parking space. As we open our respective doors, Kenny immediately slumps down on the passenger seats, his head laid on the headrest. Seeing him in a frail state, I needed to ask him for his address to bring him home.

-

The beginning of the drive was silent. I didn't have the radio on because I felt that it would disturb Kenny. I'm sure he wants peace and quiet. Though a shaking curiosity wanted to ask him a few questions, "Kenny..." I began. My face was directed in front of the road but I would glimpse at him in the corner of my eye. "Why'd you walk? Your place is almost 45 minutes away."

He tilts his head but still has it supported on the window he was leaning on. He only stares at me for a few seconds. Then he speaks, "my stupid bike tire went flat. I couldn't repair it... so I had no choice..."

"Couldn't you have asked your parents for help?"

"My parents... don't have time for me..." he grumbles, a hint of detestation slithered with his tone.

I flinched lightly, "your parents don't want to? What about giving you ride to work?"

"As I said, they don't can't ," his voice was airy and had no power. I was speechless. I didn't know how to respond. Kenny seems to be annoyed by it, and it disturbs me for many reasons. If what he says is true: if his family really doesn't support him, his life must be hard. I've never seen him smile...

-

I was entering a neighborhood and night has fallen. Gazing around, this place doesn't look well kept. The area looked a bit neglected and worn. Houses look unkept, grassy lawns were overgrown, fences were unfinished. Is this really where Kenny lives? Turning to Kenny who had dozed off into a nap, I gave him a small tap and woke him up. Groggily, he yawns and peeks out the window. "Is this it?" I asked.

He nods, "definitely..." he says and opens up his door. Taking a step out, he stands motionless as he faces towards his house. He slowly shifts to look at me for a moment, "hey... thank you very much."

"Of course. Have a good night Kenny," I said, trying to end our interaction with a good resolution.

"... ha, I wish..."

With that, he closes the car door and limps to his home. It sounded like a chuckle, yet fake and empty. The corners of his lips didn't even creek upwards.

-
*unrelated to the chapter, but I found it surprising that people aren't bashing Kyomi like they did with Annabelle, lol
-