22

||ETHAN||

"Hey Dad, I'm back," I announced as I entered our apartment complex. At first, I didn't get a response. Walking around, I peeked into his room to see that he was already fast asleep. I left him to rest and quietly shut the door. Going to my room to get dressed, I wore my pajamas and went into the bathroom to get prepared for bed. As I opened the medicine cabinet, I started brushing my teeth. I took was starting to feel tired. Quite a lot has happened today: I got to spend time with my dad, reunited with my friend Kyomi, and also had a tremendous experience with Jackson. I spat out the toothpaste and washed off my mouth along with my face. Staring at myself in the mirror, I do wish that I could maintain these emotions of contentment without the need for these. Handling the bottle of anti-depressants once more, I heaved a sigh and take one with a hard swallow. Things could just be difficult without having both parents together. Blinking, I gave it a rattle to notice that I have only a couple remaining. I should remember to ask dad to get more of my prescriptions at some point, maybe. Placing them back inside, I crept up to my bed and sunk into my sheets. Despite feeling exhausted, I couldn't help but feel thrilled to catch up with Kyomi more. I've missed her so much, my heart feels warm. And then there's Jackson, even though I've known him for a bit, I do find him charming...

Charming?

Strange, he's something that makes me feel emotions I wouldn't expect to have other from Kyomi. Staring at the ceiling, this is oddly confusing. My mind recalled back to when Carla was speculating that due to our interactions she observed, Jackson could have possible hints of him liking me which I thought was preposterous. But then again, who said that you can only like one side? Jackson dated a girl, maybe there really is a chance that he might like me? Brad is bi, having what used to be in a relationship with Annabel and now Noah. But what exactly is there something about me to like? I'm not wealthy like Noah, hence I have to work first before getting into college. Before quickly getting sidetracked into sadder thoughts, I shook my head.

I need to sleep.

-

"Morning Kenny," I greeted as I walked in the restaurant.

"Morning..." he mumbles, serving at the front counter. As I pass by him to get to the employees' room, I wore my apron and dusted myself. I checked myself in and walked into the kitchen to see only one working at the stove and one working with the dishes, not even Carla. She might not have work today. Going back to the dining area, I checked to see if there were any new customers that needed tending. I held a glass pitcher and asked a guy who was sat in the corner, "would you like more water?" I said, looking at his almost empty glass.

"Yeah, where's my breakfast?" He says.

Stunned, I wasn't sure what to say exactly, "oh, sorry, I'll go check with the cooks," I nodded and poured in his cup. He sighs as he taps his finger on the table. Returning to the kitchen, I asked the guy working who was preparing a dish. Pointing at it, I asked, "Is this for table 2?"

He shook his head, "this is for table 4, I'm still working on 2," he says.

After a while, he finishes the platter and I took it. Looking for table 4, I walked over to a woman and her daughter on the other side and served it to them. They gave me an appreciated nod before I caught a glimpse from my peripheral, the guy looking impatient.

I had to wait about ten minutes before the chef was finally done with the man's order. Holding it with my hands I gave it to the guy who shook his head, "finally," he muttered and started eating his eggs and bacon. Frowning, I just backed away.

"Hey," I hear Kenny calling. Turning to him, I stood beside him. "Rude ass customer?" He raised a brow.

I pouted, "umm... we were kinda late in giving him his food though."

"Well, I'm just saying, expect more people like him and people who are shittier," he said. Seeing him up close, he looked like he had no energy at all with his droopy eyes.

"Kenny, you okay?" I said.

"I'm okay," he shrugs casually.

Pausing, I asked, "When's your next break?"

"In 2 hours."

Looking at him worriedly, I don't know how he manages. Jackson seems to be always in a good mood, though, he did say he just got his job in the college. Seeing how sleep-deprived Kenny is based on appearance, I'm worried about him, and I do hope that Jackson would be able to go through his own studies along with working at the same time.

I guess this is what my dad doesn't want me to go through...