Part Thirteen - 1913

1913

"Tommy! Move!" Sarah yelled as she shook him to wake up. He just moaned and rolled over, "You're going to be late for work."

"Mm."

"Tommy!"

"What?" He moaned half asleep

"You have work. You need to see the Black Country boys today."

Almost as if she flipped a switch his eyes flew open as he sat up and looked at her

"I need to go." He said as he quickly stood up. Sarah rolled her eyes at him as she got out of bed and started to get dressed. She felt lightheaded as soon as she stood and ended up falling back onto the bed "You ok?" Tommy asked concerned as he knelt down in front of her

"Yes just felt a bit lightheaded it will pass."

Tommy took note of how pale she was and checked her temperature with the back of his hand

"Maybe you shouldn't work today."

"No, it's fine."

"Sarah-"

"Tommy, it's fine."

He sighed and kissed her forehead before leaving for work.

                           ***********

The Garrison was very quiet so Harry and Sarah were playing cards behind the bar, laughing at each other until Sarah started coughing violently "You alright?" Harry asked concerned. She covered her mouth and gave him a thumbs up, he put his hand on her shoulder "hold on let me get you some water."

When he walked off Sarah saw that she had blood on her hand from when she had coughed but she quickly wiped it onto a cloth.

"Harry I'm fine" she rasped out, but he shook his head and gave her a glass of water

"You don't look very good." He said as she took a big sip of her drink

"Cheers Harry."

"Do you want me to get Cain or Tommy?"

"I'm fine, honestly."

Harry looked at her sceptically but nodded all the same. Although she didn't let on to Harry, but her whole body was aching, and she was trying not to let him see that she was having the shakes. Eventually, Harry sighed and looked at her "Do you wanna call it a night and go home?"

"You get off if you want Harry, I'll lock up."

He frowned, still not convinced that she was looking well but ultimately gave in, knowing how stubborn she was.

"As long as you're sure?"

"Definitely," Sarah said as she swallowed down the bile that was in her throat.

Harry gave her the keys and said goodnight when the only two customers that were in there left, Sarah decided to lock the door and give the whole pub a proper clean before going home, she was nearly finished when she found herself dizzy again, she sat herself back down on a barstool, and squeezed her eyes shut before taking a deep breath but as she stood back up she tripped on the stool leg and collapsed on the floor, everything going into blackness.

                         **************

When Tommy came home he was surprised to find the house empty, he knew the Garrison would be shut by now, so it made no sense as to why Sarah wouldn't be home, he decided to check at Polly's house