Part Twenty-Eight

The heavens had opened, ironically, as the rain washed down over them whilst a mother buried her son into the ground. Sarah could feel his presence across the way as she escorted her grandmother away from the graveside, she could see as he made his way over to her auntie. She parked her grandmother's wheelchair before rushing over and pulling her auntie away from Tommy as she smacked and clawed at his face, blood trickling down it as her daughter took her away from the gangster. Tommy and Sarah stood in silence, the only sound being of the rain around them, without speaking he leant into his pocket and pulled out an envelope full of cash. Compensation, otherwise known as blood money. Without saying anything, Sarah took it and began to turn away when he gently touched her shoulder she turned around and looked at him.

"Everything in London is going as planned."

Sarah sighed at him, only Tommy would have the audacity to talk of business at a funeral. "Your mad dog is taking charge then?"

Tommy simply nodded as he watched Sarah's eyes roam over the cut that her auntie had just made. "Sarah, I'll make Sabini pay for what he did to the kid." He told her, as she nodded, glad that he couldn't read her thoughts. It wasn't necessary, she'd take care of it herself when the time came.

"I need to take Edna home before the rain gets worse." She told him as she quickly put the money in her coat pocket and walked back over to her family. Her grandmother reached over and squeezed her hand as she started to push the wheelchair

"He used to be such a sweet boy." Somewhere between her aunties sobs, her cousin had scoffed at their grandmother's words, making Sarah sigh as she continued with great difficulty due to the rain to push the wheelchair until they reached home. Sarah got some towels for her grandmother before putting her into her bed. Her cousin had made a pot of tea for them, as Sarah reached into her pocket and held the envelope out to her auntie.

"We don't want it." Her cousin said sternly, making her roll her eyes.

"Anna-" she began as she turned to face her

"Mother, don't take it. They think they can throw money around to solve everything, well it doesn't solve things." Georgia ignored her daughter and took the money from her niece "Mother!"

"Anna! Harold chose to do this, 'The Digbeth kid' took the job for a reason, this was the outcome."

"She's right." Her auntie replied quietly as she got up and stuffed the money into an old coffee jar to keep safe until the bank opened. "I'm going to take my tea in bed. Your grandmother needs her tablets in an hour." She said tiredly as she left the two women alone.

"You know what's funny?" Anna said sharply

"What?" Sarah mumbled, becoming tired of their arguing.

"I used to be jealous of you, hanging round with them, running this city, but now I see them and you for what you are."

"What's that then?" She asked as she crossed her arms.

"Damaged and sad, guilty of all charges. You're going straight to hell, the lot of ya."

Sarah snorted at her cousin. "OK, well, hell will have to wait because I need to go to work, so I don't have time for this." She told her as she grabbed her coat and left to start her new job, or rather her old job. Since Sarah had declined Tommy's offer for helping him with the London expansion he'd found her a place in the gambling den, taking over for Arthur, which is how she found herself pushing her way through men to get to the door, hoping that someone would let her in.

"We're not open for winnings yet!" A voice shouted. Sarah rolled her eyes as she elbowed some of the men out of the way and knocked on the door again

"Esme, it's Sarah!" She shouted. Esme opened the door slightly to make sure only Sarah could get in. Sarah slid through the gap and slammed the door shut behind her, she thanked Esme as she looked around the den.