Part Eighty - One

The change in Ruby's health had been quick, just as the doctor had predicted. She needed some rest and then she'd be back to her normal self, which she now was. Sarah watched as the children kept running to the window to see if Tommy was back yet, both of them no longer disappointed that they won't be going to America because now their dad was coming home. In some ways she envied her children, when she was a child the anticipation of waiting for her father to come home was one of dread, and yet despite Tommy's demeanour these children thought the world of him. Although that was Tommy all over, people just gravitated toward him, whether it be out of admiration, fear or distaste, he still pulled them in.

"He's here!" Charlie yelled as he and Ruby raced down the stairs.

Sarah smiled and followed them down and to the drive, watching Ruby run to Tommy

"Daddy." Ruby squealed as Tommy's car came to a stop.

"Hello, Ruby." He replied, stepping out of the car as she ran into his arms, letting her go Tommy bent down and took her face in his hands to take her in properly with a smile, "Come here. Let me see you. I missed you. There it is, that is a Black Madonna." He commented, glancing at his wife before kissing Ruby's head and standing to his full height.

"What presents did you get us, Dad?" Charles asked eagerly running to Tommy.

"Son." Tommy greeted as he pulled Charlie into his side.

He wrapped his arms around both kids and walked back up the drive to Sarah's direction

"She's all better, Tommy." Sarah pointed out to him, nodding to Ruby, "You came back for nothing."

Sarah pressed a small kiss to his lips before wrapping her arms around him.

"Never for nothing." He murmured into her ear, holding her tightly.

Sarah smiled to herself as she buried her head into the crook of Tommy's neck, taking in his scent and warmth. It didn't take a genius to figure out that Tommy wasn't back solely for Ruby and the family, but Sarah didn't care.

"I'm glad you're back." She mumbled into his shoulder, before pulling away from him.

"Right, before we do anything else, we're going to go for a drive, OK?" Tommy told them, taking Ruby's hand. "Let's go."

"What about me?" Charles asked, not wanting to be left behind.

"Yeah, you can come too, come on." Tommy said as he beckoned his son to the car and opened the door for both kids to climb into.

"A drive where?" Sarah frowned watching the kids climb in.

"I've asked the driver to take us to see Dr Robert. I want him to have a look at Ruby."

"Why?" Sarah asked, "Tommy she's fine now."

"Better to be safe than sorry." He answered.

Sarah agreed with that, but if Tommy was hoping that modern medicine could show gypsy witchcraft then he was sadly mistaken.

"Right." She sighed, climbing into the car next to the children.

Tommy had taken them to one of their own sanatoriums, the only ones he could trust. He seemed quiet as they waited for the results, more so than usual. Both kids were messing around in the waiting room, giving sarah a headache, she was craving a cigarette and was envious when Tommy pulled one out of his case and nodded that he was going outside for a quick one, Sarah sighed and watched him leave.

"Mrs. Shelby." The doctor called out.

"Yes." She answered, quickly standing up.

"Your daughter is fine. All her tests are clear."