Part Fifty - Two

Sarah was finishing her cigarette as she waited for Polly, Lizzie and Ada outside the hospital. Watching as Polly seemed to have a glint of mischief in her eyes

"How come you haven't gone in yet?" Ada asked Sarah as the three women stopped in front of her.

Sarah released her last puff of nicotine as she answered, "Because the thought of me being alone in a room with that man makes me, makes me want to...hang a noose around my neck." She smirked darkly to Polly's amusement

Lizzie and Ada shook their heads at them as Ada rolled her eyes, "Behave yourselves." Ada warned making Sarah raise her eyebrows at her.

"Behave myself or what? Or fucking what?"

Sarah folded her arms, also curious as to what exactly Ada thought she could do to control Polly, and herself for that matter.

"Okay, Polly, I'll tell you the truth. After your recent troubles, Tommy asked me to keep an eye on you."

Sarah grimaced, this was not going to go down well.

"Troubles?" Polly asked incredulously "Whilst working for this company I have killed a man, I have lost a man, I have found a son, I have nearly lost a son, I have nearly lost my own life. Now, I will accept my job back if the terms on offer are favourable. But I will not behave myself." And with that, Polly turned on her heel and made her way into the hospital.

Ada and Lizzie looked at Sarah for some support, but she shook her head "If you two are expecting me to take your side over hers then you're very much mistaken." She told them before following her auntie inside.

"Sorry I'm late." Pol said as she put her things on Michael's bed.

Sarah hovered in the doorway, not wanting to be in close proximity of Tommy, who was watching her every step like a hawk

"Where's Arthur?"

"Do I look like his fucking mother?" Sarah replied as she sat herself next to Ada.

Sarah was still a part of the business, but these days was more of a silent partner, and hadn't actually attended any meeting with Tommy since the night of her arrest.

Tommy sighed and started passing around papers for them all to go through, "Right. Before we start this extraordinary general meeting of the board of the Shelby Company Limited, I'd like to note the absence of the Deputy Vice President, who has not yet arrived. We will continue without his presence. Item number one. The reinstatement of the Shelby Company Limited Company Treasurer. The board welcomes back the former treasurer, with generously improved terms and conditions. Due to the exceptionally difficult circumstances the company now finds itself in. The proposed treasurer will now check the terms and conditions to see if they are in order. Item number two. During the absence of the Company Accountant, due to ill health, all responsibility for the keeping of company accounts pass to the head of acquisitions. Item number three. The Company Treasurer, having read the terms and condition, lodges a signed contract of employment agreeing to the terms and conditions with the temporary head of accounts. All those in favour of the reinstatement of Mrs Elizabeth Gray, to the position of Shelby Company Limited Company Treasurer, please raise your hands."

"Why goodness, thank you." Polly replied sarcastically as they all raised their hands

"Any other business? Right. I declare this extraordinary general meeting over. Now we can talk about the real business. But for that we need Arthur. Where the fuck is Arthur?"

"Sorry, ladies, there's no smoking in here." The nurse nervously told them as she came in to check on Michael.

"Yes, love, we know." Polly said closing the door on her