Part Thirty-Five

1924

Today was the day. The day that Thomas Shelby would finally marry. A part of Sarah didn't want to go to the wedding. It seemed inappropriate to be there, but she was a part of the family, and they had all forgiven her without hesitation, and she had agreed to stand by Tommy's actions just as he had for her. Sarah winced as she walked into the church, the looks that Grace's family were giving them all as she and Maddie sat between Ada and Finn

"Alright, Ada! Little Karl" Maddie beamed loudly as she tickled under the young boy's chin. Ada pulled the redhead into a hug whilst Finn eyed her up and down, earning a smack from Sarah

"What? I didn't do anything" Sarah rolled her eyes and looked past down the row, "What. What's wrong?" he asked, following her eye line.

"Whose stupid idea was it to put Linda next to Pol? It's hard enough trying to get her not to kill one of the Shelby brides, let alone two of them."

Finn started laughing at her before scoffing when he caught sight of Grace's family looking down their noses at them

"Ignore them," she muttered as she locked eyes with Tommy. She sent him a small smile as she took in how handsome he looked in his blue suit, she took note of how it brought out the intense blue of his eyes. He sent her a smile back and reluctantly looked away once the music started. Sarah could feel Polly and John's eyes on her as she nodded at them to let them know she was happy for him and that they should be too. The hair on the back of her neck stuck out as she realised the children were singing in the bleak midwinter. It made her feel as if Cain was in the church with her, she squeezed her eyes shut and barely noticed when Jeremiah entered. The tension in the air thickened when the wedding song played and Grace began her walk down the aisle,

"Purple, really? Although she couldn't exactly where white I suppose"

"Maddie!" Sarah warned through gritted teeth, as she shoved a sniggering Finn hard in the ribs to get him to quieten down. The ceremony was like a blur and once they left the church Sarah felt a flood of relief run through her.

"What was with the purple dress!" Polly exclaimed the moment that the last photo had been snapped.

"Exactly what I said Aunt Pol" Maddie said smugly much to Sarah's exasperation.

"Pol!"

"Maddie!"

Ada and Sarah warned at the same time

"Enough! The dress was beautiful, now walk!" Sarah told them as she lit herself a cigarette and inhaled deeply.

"Good luck," Ada muttered under her breath, earning a sarcastic smile from Sarah, as the four women began to make their way over to Arrow house. Sarah had barely been inside the house for longer than five minutes when Arthur whisked her away, telling her she was to come with him.

"Come on, kitchen now." She shouted to Isaiah whilst Arthur rounded up some of the others.

"Sarah, this lady wants to play in the snow."

"No, no snow today. No snow today." Arthur called over.

"Kitchen, come on." She snapped at him again.

"- Where are they?" Tommy asked Johnny Doggs, getting impatient.

"- I don't know, Tommy."

"- Arthur, John, Sarah, where are they?"

"- I don't know," he replied again.

"- I am telling you now, we got lost. You really need to do a map." Arthur yelled as he carried a bottle of fancy champagne. Sarah could tell that Tommy was a nervous mess as he took a long drag on his cigarette. He looked up at them all and sighed.

"Right, boys... Sarah, you're all here. Today, this is my fucking wedding day."

"Yeah, and you said there'd be no bloody uniforms." John spat.

"Nevertheless... "

"I dunno, some of them look good in their uniform," Sarah said, winding John up as he scoffed and got ready to yell. Tommy rolled his eyes at both of them and continued

"Nevertheless, John... Despite the bad blood, I'll have none of it on my carpet. Now for Grace's sake, nothing will go wrong. Those bastards out there are her family. And if you fuckers do anything to embarrass her, your kin, your cousins, your horses, your fucking kids, you do anything..."

"- Tom?" Isaiah began

"- To... What?" He snapped

"What about snow?" He asked

"Yeah, their women are sports, I'll say that..." John joked as he grabbed Isaiah in a headlock playfully.

"No. No. No" Tommy muttered in Isaiah's face before walking around the room and listing all the things they weren't allowed to do, "No cocaine. No cocaine. No sport. No telling fortunes. No racing" he stopped and grabbed Finn's face, making Sarah step forward protectively on instinct as Tommy carried on  "No fucking sucking petrol out of their fucking cars" he said giving Finn a slap before turning to face Charlie "And, you, Charlie, stop spinning yarns about me, eh?"

"I'm just trying to sell you to them, Tom," Charlie said frowning. Tommy took a deep breath and closed his eyes, making Sarah let out a loud laugh.

"Not scared of them, Tom?"

His eyes snapped open as he walked over to her and pointed his finger in her face, "You! Don't get me started with you!"

Sarah tried not to laugh, she opened her mouth to make a joke, but Charlie nudged her ribs and shook his head as Tommy turned away and addressed them all again "But the main thing is, you bunch of fuckers, despite the provocation from the cavalry, no fighting" When Tommy saw that Isaiah wasn't listening he walked over and grabbed his face "Oi! No fighting. No fucking fighting. No fighting." He told them all, individually pointing to them as he walked around the room. He stopped at Sarah and watched as she kept her lips tight trying not to laugh, "No fucking fighting!" He roared as he pointed at her. Sarah didn't even flinch, instead she raised her eyebrows waiting to challenge him, but He walked away nodding to himself "Good." and began to shrug on his jacket when a waiter walked into him "Get the fuck off me!" He growled, turning around furiously and pushing him to the ground. Arthur yelled at the waiter in amusement, trying to wind Tommy up, as John and Sarah nodded to each other in amusement.

A/n I'm really excited to be doing season 3!!