Part Twenty-Five

After she returned from her trip with Tommy, Ada had stuck to her word and she, along with Karl, met Sarah at the train station. Sarah scooped Karl up into her arms as they walked back to the house, listening to Karl babble on about his day. Ada desperately wanted to ask her what had happened but knew that Sarah would never tell, she never did when it came to Tommy, not unless she wanted to.

"Cup of tea?" Sarah asked as Ada closed the door behind them.

"Aren't I meant to be the woman of the house?"

"Yes, but I doubt you would offer to put whiskey in my tea," Sarah called out from the kitchen as Ada sent Karl to play with his things. Ada crossed her arms as she walked into the kitchen.

"It went well then."

"As well as could be expected." She sighed as she looked for the whiskey. It was only when she turned to look at her friend that she saw the glint in her eyes. They had a stare-down for a few minutes before Sarah gushed and ran over to Ada and pulled her into a hug "You're coming, aren't you."

"Yes." Ada laughed at her friend, "but only for Polly. Tommy said she's in a bad place." Ada's voice turning sad as she spoke to her friend. Sarah kissed her cheek and jumped up and down like a child before dragging her upstairs to try on clothes for the party, forgetting about her cup of tea.

***********

Once she stepped out of the car and onto the hobbled tiles of Small Heath was when the reality hit Sarah, and she suddenly couldn't remember why she even wanted to come back in the first place. Sarah waited for Ada and Karl to get out of the car before walking in, knowing that Ada was as apprehensive as she was, if not more. They linked arms and walked into the loud and bright Garrison. Sarah hung back and watched as the family approached her, beginning with a drunken Polly,            

"Ada! I didn't know you were coming. Oh, Ada, why don't you think about coming home?"

Tommy watched as Sarah had subconsciously held her hand onto the door handle ready to bolt out, he stared at her, practically daring her to go, but somehow she managed to stay frozen on the spot as he abruptly interrupted Polly and Ada's conversation, keeping his eye on Sarah's movements.

"Hello, Ada." He passed his sister a drink whilst Polly stormed away

"- Tommy..."

"So, what do you think, eh?"

"It's very..."

"- Gold?"

"-Yeah."

Polly began to walk back over to her nephew to argue with him again but stopped, her eyes widening as she walked over to Sarah, she raised her hand to her face and Sarah was sure that she was going to slap her, but instead, she gently put her hand to her cheek and hugged her tightly, making her relax.

"I know you helped Tommy." She sighed, the stench of alcohol that covered Polly's breath nearly made Sarah feel drunk as she held her steady in place, she released her when she heard John's voice

"No fucking way!"

Ada smiled over her shoulder as she, and a swaying Polly, brought Sarah over to the Shelby family "Hi-"

"I don't know whether I want to cut you or hug you," John said without taking his eyes off of her.

"John boy! I-uh, trouble?" He asked in disbelief as he stood next to his brother in shock. Sarah could tell that Tommy was enjoying this, enjoying watching her squirm under pressure. Maybe this was Tommy's punishment for her, letting his brothers decide her fate. Arthur gently pushed Sarah back, as if trying to decide if she was real or not.