Part Seventy - Nine

3 Years later

"Finn, nows not a good time, I need to finish packing our cases and booking our passage fare, not to mention I asked Tommy to bribe the Cadbury's chocolate factory to let us in for Ruby's birthday, and I'm trying to sort out who is going to be Father Christmas this year." She was telling Finn as she climbed the stairs with her hands full of different things, whilst Finn had been following her from room to room to get her attention.

"Sarah it's important."

Sarah stopped on the stairs and sighed, "Well I hope you can walk and talk ." She told him before carrying on.

"Do you know what Ivy's new address is?" Finn asked following her to her bedroom.

Sarah slammed their cases down onto the bed and looked at him. Almost three years ago, Sarah had told Finn to stay away from the girl because he would only break her heart and within a year he did exactly that. Finn was the one who had pushed Ivy away and eventually became the reason she decided to quit and now had the audacity to ask about her.

"Why?" Finn shifted his feet around as Sarah became impatient with his strange behaviour, "Why, Finn?!"

"Well I wanted to ask you and Vera at the same time," Finn pondered to himself, "maybe tommy as well." He muttered out loud.

"Ask me what?"

Finn sat down on the bed and took a deep breath "I want your permission to marry Ivy."

As soon as the words left his lips he began to smile to himself, whilst Sarah just looked at him in shock.

"What did you just say?" She gasped

This time Finn couldn't contain his smile, "I want to ask Ivy to marry me. I know I fucked up and I hurt her when I pushed her away but I was just trying to protect her from this life. Fuck, I love her Sarah." When Sarah continued to stare at him blankly he began to get nervous, "Can you say something?"

"Absolutely not!"

"What?" Finn frowned standing up, not expecting that response.

Sarah walked over to him and jabbed his chest with her finger as she spoke "After you broke her heart, she quit working for us, remember?" Finn nodded, "and because not only did she work closely for us and the fact that because of you she'd seen our life properly, I had to make sure that no harm came to her!"

"Tommy wouldn't have harmed her."

"Um when business mixed with pleasure he might, thankfully for Ivy she's not a man otherwise she'd be lying in the cut. And thanks to me, she got a tidy payout and is in a good employment. So no you can't marry her, I won't have you dragging her into this life!" Sarah snapped before turning back to the tasks she had at hand.

Finn kept his eyes to the ground as he leant against one of the columns on her bed, "Technically it's you that dragged her into this life."

Sarah's eyes were incredulous when she turned back to look at him, grabbing one of Tommys shoes she launched it at Finns head, managing to hit him straight in the face. Finn let out a yelp as she slowly walked over to him.

"Excuse me? Correct me if I'm wrong but I said to you before that you won't get away with speaking to me like that, yet you've just done it again."

Finn rubbed the side of his face which was now stinging from the shoe and tried to ignore Sarah's glare until she grabbed his face harshly and made him look at her.

"Marriage isn't a plaster, it won't make everything better. Everything that you did to her won't change just because you got married."

"You and Tom seem happy." Finn said quietly.

"We are, but it didn't happen overnight. Marriage isn't easy and Ivy's had a very hard life."

Finn stood up, "I know she's had a hard life, she's told me. We've been intimate in more ways than one, Sarah. I know what I need to do now, I didn't know how much I needed her then, but now I do."

Sarah shoved him onto her bed and walked over to her vanity, grabbing a pen and paper.

"Here, write tommy. See what he says." She told him tiredly as she handed him the pen and paper.

"Why? Your the one who's close to Ivy and gave her a better life."

"Yes, but I've already told you no, and you insist on challenging me, so fine Ask your brother. See what he has to say about the family."

Finns shoulder slumped in deflation, "what if he says no."

"Then that's your answer."

Sarah pretended he wasn't in the room as she carried on packing ignoring him when he slipped out the room. She sat down and ran her hand over her face tiredly, she missed Tommy. He'd only left a couple of days ago and was working away, they were due to meet him in time for Christmas but in the meantime sarah was on her own with the kids trying to plan the perfect Christmas. Sarah debated calling Tommy straight away to tell him about Finn, but she knew Finn wouldn't follow through with asking for Tommys permission, nor would he try to get her address so she decided to leave it until she saw him again. Christmas, she reminded herself, was important to her family and was close to her and Tommy's anniversary, so she could wait a few more weeks for him, they all could.

A/n - A filler for now because I decided to split the chapter in half....hoping to post the rest in a couple of days xx