Part Forty - Nine

Sarah's head was a mess when she came back that night. She'd killed before, they all had, but this was different. John had invited her to come and wet the baby's head with them, sarah sensed it was his way of blocking out what had happened, but either way she declined his offer and instead went back to stay with Pol. She was too drained to go back to her own house, instead she needed familial comfort. As soon as she stepped in the door, Polly was at her side, guiding her over to the couch with a glass of whiskey ready to steady her nerves.

"It's over now." She told Sarah as she released a puff of smoke from her cigarette.

"It doesn't feel like it." Sarah mumbled, "We kill, cut, butcher, maim. We send them all to fucking hell, and thats where we're going as well." She said downing her whiskey as Pol leant over to the side table and handed her the bottle. Sarah couldn't even be bothered to pour it into her glass, instead swigging it out the bottle.

"You've got the shakes girl." Polly commented.

"I'm aware." Sarah replied dryly, feeling the whiskey burning her throat.

Polly paused for a moment, before passing Sarah a cigarette "Charles was asking for you."

"I'll go round in the morning before the meeting." She replied releasing a breath of nicotine before sinking down into her seat and closing her eyes. Attempting to fall asleep with the sounds of a train whistling haunting her.

(-)-)-)-)

Mary was happy to see Sarah at the front door, greeting her warmly knowing how much Charlie wanted to see her

"He's been asking about you."

Sarah smiled "Is he ok?" She asked seriously

"He's fine." Mary reassured her as she led her up the stairs to the boy himself.

"Hello little rascal!" Sarah exclaimed brightly as she picked up Charles and held him close to her. Praying to whoever was out there that this little boy would live a long life, a happy and safe life.

"Look!" He exclaimed showing her his new trains.

Sarah's heart broke slightly as he pulled on her hand for her to sit next to him in front of his toy train tracks. This little boy had no idea that less than 24 hours ago she'd blown up a train to save his life. She froze for a moment before smiling at him and taking one of the trains that he passed her as they played. Sarah's hand shook before dropping the train in surprise when she heard Charles shouting out.

"Dada!" He stood up and waddled over to Tommy who scooped him up in his arms, and watched Sarah's pale expression as she stared down at the toy train that had landed in her lap.

Tommy led Charles out the room down to the hall where Mary was, asking her to take him out to the garden for a picnic and fresh air. When he walked back into Charlie's room he pulled Sarah to her feet and gently pulled the train from her hand, throwing it into Charles' toy box. They both looked at each other silently for a few moments, before Tommy's eyes filled with an emotion Sarah hadn't seen in a while.

Tommy opened his mouth to say something but stopped himself as he looked for the courage to speak "You'll never know how much you mean to me, Sarah. About how much I love you."

Sarah frowned, taken aback by what he said as Tommy looked deeply into her chocolate eyes "What? What's going on-"

Before she could finish her sentence Tommy rushed forward and held her by the nape of her neck. Moulding his lips into hers as she found herself reciprocating the kiss, her hands moving up to cup his face as his hands moved down to her waist. Only pulling away when they heard the front door opening downstairs. Tommy still held onto her waist and pecked her lips.