Part Sixty

Yet again Sarah was watching Charles whilst Tommy was entertaining Jesse Eden, not that she minded. After a long evening Charles had fallen asleep on Sarah's lap, she smiled down at him, envious of Tommy. He truly had everything except it still didn't seem enough for him. Sarah jumped when Charlie stumbled in with Curly.

"Shh!" She whispered as they came in, they both nodded silently and sat down, "how was it going when you left?" She asked keeping her voice hushed.

"I left them with romantic music." Curly said proudly receiving an exasperated look from Charlie.

Sarah fought off her smile "I hear Tommy was cooking?"

"Yep." Charlie replied

"God help her." Sarah commented at the memory of Tommys cooking.

Charlie snorted, he didn't think much of love nor romance. On many occasion sarah had wanted to ask him about the matters of his heart, because she knew he had one, she just wanted to know who it belonged to. The three of them sat up for a while talking until Charles began to stir, the two men took it as their time to leave as sarah took the young boy to bed. Coming back downstairs she saw Tommy taking his coat off.

"Well?" She asked.

"Yeah yeah good." He replied quietly sitting down onto the couch

"D'you fuck?" She asked with a smirk as she flopped down next to him.

"Always so crude, Sarah." He commented as he went to light a cigarette, but sarah whipped it away from his lips, "no we didn't." Tommy drawled out.

"Oh dear, you're losing your touch." She mused as she lit his stolen cigarette and placed it between her lips.

Tommy watched her movements, caught up in them before finally answering, "She said 'soon'."

"Does that mean you've actually managed to hold a conversation with a woman without having sex with her."

"I hold conversations with you all the time and we don't have sex."

"Mm, yeah but that's got nothing to do with you pursuing me. Go on then, entertain me, what'd you talk about?"

Tommy pondered for a moment, "Life, communism, my childhood, Grace....you."

"Me?" She asked exhaling smoke, "aren't I lucky."

"She said when I saw a photo of you my face changed, I told her that's because you wanted the world to be different."

"That was more your thing than mine Tommy."

"Yeah well I wanted it for you." He said moving his head closer to hers, and gently lifting her chin.

Sarah's breath hitched as she pulled the cigarette from her lips, only to place it between Tommys and pull away from him.

"Don't get into politics Thomas." Sarah told him before jumping abruptly from the couch "I'm going to bed." She told him as she made her way upstairs.

"Do you want me join you?" He called after her.

"Fuck you tommy." She called back as she went up to bed, making him chuckle to himself.

All night sarah dreamt of Tommy, in every type of scenario and every time she managed to pull herself from one dream she was thrust back into another. She knew he was still in the house, asleep on the couch or knowing Tommy just attempting to sleep, and it was taking all her willpower not to ask him to join her, for comfort more so than anything else. In the end she waited until she could hear Ada downstairs before getting up and going to the only place she knew that would calm her mind. The place she'd been wanting to go to since the moment she stepped foot back into this shithole that was home.