Part Twenty-Six

Conveniently for Sarah, her grandmother lived on the edge of Small Heath, so it was easier for her to slip in and out of the city without detection. Sabini had sent a car for her so that they could go for a day out in the country. From beginning to end all he did was rant about the Blinders and the Jews before proceeding to pine for her attention, not even bothering to ask about her grandmother. With every breath he took, every word that came from his lips, she imagined all the ways she could kill him. She didn't enjoy having to kill or hurt people, but she knew that she could because she had. It was the self-serving arrogance that got her the most. A man full of such power, yet Sarah knew all the ways in which to cause him pain, how she couldn't wait to finally be able to end him, him and his underestimation of women, how he thinks he has a right to assert his power over them. Mostly, the fact that he believes even for a second that he intimidated Sarah. Yes, she had already killed him a dozen times over in her brain, and a few more bruises and kisses from him would be worth it for her endgame.

"Did you go to the party?" He asked, tugging her back from her fantasies.

"Yes," Sarah said with a fake smile as she lay her head on his shoulder.

"And?"

"And they like a good drink."

"My beautiful fiancé."

Sarah looked up at him and kissed him, "Always a charmer."

"I think Thomas Shelby will think you beautiful as well."

"Excuse me?"

"My dear Sarah, you've seen my garden of Eden, you've seen how people in the club are so...loved."

"Are you pimping me out?" She asked, raising her voice, struggling to maintain her innocent and scared facade.

"Is that a way to speak to your fiancé?" He spat his temper quickening due to her standing up for herself instead of pretending to be a timid girl like she usually acts.

"You narcissistic-"

"I'm sorry, I thought you liked London."

"I do."

"Then why don't you want to come back?"

"I do want to."

"Well, if the so-called 'Peaky Blinders' get their way, then I'm not sure if I can provide my protection."

"Then explain to me what you want-"

Sabini gripped her wrist tightly

"Get to know Thomas Shelby, it's what you want, really."

Sarah held her tongue, not wanting to cause an argument, and she knew that if he touched her again she would probably kill him on the spot. He kissed her roughly as a goodbye and sent her back home.

The moment she closed the front door behind her, she began punching it out of frustration. Her plan didn't even make sense anymore, but there was no way out for her, not at the moment anyway. She got changed before making her way down to the docks with Tommy, they watched the boats being loaded as they smoked their cigarettes "So, Polly's son has returned home?"

"Yep," Tommy said as he breathed out a puff of smoke

"Hmm, what's he like?"

Tommy thought for a moment before answering, "Clean."

Sarah let out a small chuckle.

"How come you weren't at the Garrison yesterday morning?"

Sarah stared ahead and took a drag, "Looking after Edna." It was surprisingly easy to lie to Tommy, or maybe it just seemed easy, and maybe he could see right through her. She dreaded to think about what would happen if Sabini found out that they were in each other's lives on a day-to-day basis, and not for his benefit.