Chapter Fifteen

The day had finally come, and I could literally feel nerves eating away at me. 

I haven’t spoken to Colton since the day of our picnic, and I found that odd. The only time we communicated was when I suggested that we all hang out so he could know Fabian better, and all he did was send a message saying 'that's cool' and that was all. 

I saw him at school today, but he barely looked at me. I felt like I hurt his feelings when I walked away from him at the park, and then texted him a few hours later telling him that I'd like him to meet my new love interest or whatever. It must’ve been quite obvious that I left him to go see Fabian on Saturday, and I felt pretty bad about it. 

At the moment it felt like my act was justified. He was being childish by trying to chase Fabian away when he took my phone, and I didn’t like that. But he is my best friend and  instead of talking to him about it, I went to the very same guy who he obviously doesn’t like and I even had him in my room! 

Not that I regretted it. I'm glad Fabian and I had that talk the other night, especially before the two guys met. I feel like I made a huge step with Fabian on Saturday, so the only thing I regret is the way I left things with Colton. 

Now finally, it was the end of the school day and I was in the parking lot with Shanae and Ariana while I stared at Colton a few cars away talking to his friends. His eyes would meet mine ever so often, but then he'd act as if he didn’t see me. 

We were scheduled to meet at Lukas' Diner today at five. Was this really the attitude he wanted to proceed with? Won't that make things more awkward? 

"Just go talk to him already." Shanae's voice interrupted my thoughts as Nick, her boyfriend, nibbled on her ear. 

I almost forgot he was here too. He was always just in Shanae’s shadow. Sometimes it was easy to overlook him. 

"I don’t know..." I trailed. "What if he cancels? And then things between him and Fabian will be strained forever?" I huffed, frustrated. 

"So this new guy is forever huh?" Ariana asked with a smirk. "Too bad. I thought I had a shot." I rolled my eyes at her remark. 

"That was one time! And I wasn’t making a move on you, Ariana. I was hiding from Colton." 

"Why am I always caught up in your boy problems?" she asked with an eye roll, but I could see the humour behind it. 

"Because you are always at the right place at the right time and-"

"Shut up, look he's leaving." She cut me off and pointed in the direction where Colton was at, and I saw that he was going into his car. 

Quickly, I ran towards him, hoping I wouldn't slip on the wet asphalt from the rain. He was already in his car by the time I arrived, and I made a big move and sat in his passenger seat. He wasn’t getting away this time. 

"You're avoiding me." I came right out and said it and when he turned to face me, my heart sank. He looked genuinely...sad. 

"You left me in the park without hearing me out, Paris," he said, getting right to the point. That's what I like with Colton sometimes, he doesn’t beat around the bush. "And I know you went to see him." 

I didn’t like how he said 'him', but I ignored it solely for the sake of our friendship. "What you did was really uncalled for and it angered me."

"I know and I really am sorry about that. But I felt... I don’t know." He sighed. "I just wished you would've talked to me about how you were feeling instead of leaving like that. I spent all night looking for you because I know you didn’t have your car. And when I came to your house, I saw I bike behind the plants. A bike that no one at your house owned."