Chapter Thirty-Three- Final

Closing Song:

I Guess I'm In Love By Clinton Kane

***

Four Months Later

Being at the end can be sad, but it also can be a good thing. 

The end, in some aspects, means the beginning of something new. The end of a good meal most times leads to a great dessert. The end of a good movie typically gives a chance to start a new one. As for me, the end of high school opens the door for new opportunities in life. 

It was a sad moment in some sense. Seven years of high school has been a journey. The nostalgia was almost overwhelming, but it was all worth it. 

I had good times and bad times. I had tons of fun and shed a lot of tears too. But high school was where I met some of the most important people in my life, and so it will forever be one of my favourite places. 

University was a big step from high school, but I suppose I was somewhat ready. The months of getting acceptance letters were terribly nerve-wracking. However, it wasn't too bad, because my friends and I wouldn't be too far apart. It so happened that Colton and Fabian got accepted to the same university, all the way over there in Manchester. The thought always made me laugh. 

Maybe now they will become friends. They tolerate each other for my sake but barely ever share anything more than a curt nod. 

Then again, The University of Manchester is a large campus. I doubt they will ever cross paths much. Plus, with Colton studying politics and Fabian studying engineering and architecture, the tiny chance of sharing a class went straight out the window. It didn't quite bother me, though. I wasn't the one to force them to become besties. They've come a long way in four months. 

Plus, if anything should happen, I wasn't more than an hour and a half away in York. At first, the distance bothered me, and I was tempted to go to Manchester with my boys. But I got into the Literature Program at the University of York, and I was elated. My mother got her second degree there in Literature, and I always wanted to do the same. It was a tough choice, but I didn't regret it. Besides, I won't be entirely alone over there. I met a new friend a couple weeks ago, and somewhere in the conversation, she revealed that she would be studying there too. I was relieved, of course, that I would know someone when I began. 

Fabian swore to visit me every day, though I knew that was impossible. However, we'll make it work. I loved him too much to lose him, and distance certainly wasn't a problem, but we both knew that university is an entirely different environment. It's easy to lose your way there, and it will get hard. But I believe that our love will overcome it. Then in four years, we'll not only be university graduates but overcomers of the stigma of ending relationships too. 

You'll see. 

"Paris! What are you staring at? We're ready." I was snapped from my thoughts by my best friend's voice and brought back to consciousness by his beaming smile. I shook my head to clear my thoughts as I shifted my gaze from the view of my high school. 

We were standing on the roof of the art building with helium-filled balloons ready to be released. It was a tradition here at Reagan High that the leaving sixth-formers would release red and white balloons as our way of saying farewell to high school. Since we already graduated two years ago before joining the sixth form program, the school board apparently didn't see the need for another school leaving ceremony, even though we were indeed leaving high school.