Chapter Thirty-One

Song For Chapter:

Shallow by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper

***

I wrapped the blanket tighter around my shoulders as I struggled to find sleep. I had been in bed for the past hour, yet rest would not relieve me.

Maybe it was the fact that my life had just been turned upside down or that Fabian had been gone for that entire hour, knowing how upset I was. I don't blame him, though. I was probably making him uncomfortable with my mood swings. One minute I was fine, then in a second, I was a bawling mess again.

It had only been two hours since I saw my mother cheating on my dad, yet it felt like it was two seconds ago. Then, to see him so nonchalant and unresponsive to it was my literal breaking point. I knew there was no way I could take it back, and maybe it was good that I actually saw it tonight. Perhaps it was for the best. We all knew that it was bound to happen eventually, after all. Now that her secret is out, they can go on with the divorce that they had wanted so badly.

Yes, I said it. I knew they didn't love each other anymore. I had always known from the minute things changed at home. But I was far too naïve… scared even? To the point where I acted as if I didn't notice. No wonder my anxiety used to slap me in the face every now and then when I thought too hard about my family. It was only trying to get me to face what I had been avoiding all along, knowing that there wasn't any way I could get out of it. I always knew that one day, it would finally happen and that exactly is what scared me and triggered my panic.

I have always existed in this happy world. My only traumatic experience was my accident at the carnival. Everything else was always such butterflies and rainbows.

Well, I was in for a rude awakening. And tonight was precisely that.

I guess I could say I was relieved too. To finally have it out there in the open and lingering in the atmosphere freed a knot that I hid far away in my mind. Don't get me wrong, I didn't know that my mother was cheating, and seeing that she was the cause of their distance broke me utterly to the core. But that still didn't change the fact that I had always known that something was wrong.

I had no clue what they would do now. Maybe they will get a divorce or continue to act as a perfect family, but I knew for sure that nothing would be the same again.

It couldn't be.

I sniffled yet again as I shifted to my other side. The dim moonlight illuminated the rocking chair across the room and the light wind tapped against the window panes, asking for entrance. It was somewhat peaceful to listen to, yet I found myself jerking up every time I dozed off a bit.

Fabian brought me to the farmhouse since I assumed he didn't want to take me to his house, where his family would probably ask questions.

From the minute we arrived, I found my way to the room where we shared our first kiss and laid in the bed ever since.

I could hear shuffling around the house, so I knew that Fabian hadn't left. But he only came to check on me twice, and every time I thought he'd stay, he simply kissed my cheek and left again.

I blew out a breath when I realised that sleep wouldn't come anytime soon. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand, seeing it completely dead. I shuffled through my knapsack for my charger before plugging it in. I felt guilty for leaving Cynthia at home alone. I was angry and hurt, and I didn't consider how she would've felt about the situation too.

Cynthia was always the tougher sibling. Her nonchalance would last forever, I'm sure. But this is something that would affect anyone. I shouldn't have left without her. So, I made a mental note to call her once my phone powers on. I know she'll act strong, but I would see right through her.