Chapter One

°°°

Opening Song:

Wonder by Shawn Mendes

***

I stood on the Westminster Bridge with the will to jump. I was willing to end it all at that moment because I felt as if my social life was now over.

Perhaps I was acting a whit dramatic, but the budding embarrassment from the replaying moment in my head made it quite challenging to think clearly. I couldn't believe I had done something so impeccably stupid. I felt dumber than a box of rocks, but even they knew to stay quiet. So, I couldn't even compare myself to lifeless objects.

"Paris, get down from the bridge," my friend, Shanae, instructed with boredom dripping from each syllable. She knew I was bluffing, but I couldn't bring myself even to face her.

"No, I'm going to jump. You can go; you don't have to witness this," I screamed dramatically for no apparent reason.

I heard a light chuckle from her, but I made no move to turn around. "Get down, mate. You didn't embarrass yourself that much." She tried to sound convincing, but the only person who could reassure me was nowhere close to us.

I made a fool of myself. I knew it; Shanae knew it. Hell, even the moon probably witnessed my moment of social suicide.

And it was all because I just had to fall for my best friend.

Three hours earlier

School dances.

I have been to my fair share throughout my high school years, but they always hosted one, whether Christmas, Spring or even for fundraisers. They weren't always my cup of tea, but my best friend, Colton, always insisted that I attend, or else I'd 'miss out on the high school experience'. Since he was the one who was making me go, I needed him to take me there.

I grabbed my phone as I threw down the curling iron, immediately finding his number at the top of my recent contacts. He picked up after the second ring.

"Hey," he answered. The wind in the background suggested that he was already driving.

"Can you pick me up, please? I need a ride," I asked as I tried to get my dress up.

I couldn't seem to reach the stupid zipper no matter what angle I set my hands, and if my hair weren't this short, I would've left the zipper halfway down. Unfortunately for me, my curls fell to my shoulders after cutting my hair last week. So, unless I wanted the whole school to see my back, I somehow had to get the zipper up.

"What happened to your car?" he groaned in annoyance, making me chuckle a little.

"My sister took it. Now, will you pick me up or do I have to find a new best friend?"

I smirked in victory when I didn't hear him reply since I knew that was all I had to say. Deep down, we both knew I couldn't replace him, but he wouldn't push it.

"Fine. I'll be there by six." He huffed. "Be ready!"

"Brilliant."

I quickly threw the phone on the bed and attempted to reach the zipper again, cursing my inability to be flexible. And just when I needed them the most, my mom and dad were gone again. Even my annoying kid sister was out adventuring, so I had no help.