Chapter Twenty

Fabian led me through his bedroom door into a huge hallway with a ton of pictures.

He had to keep me up in his arms, since I was far too weak to do so on my own. Still, I didn't mind. 

I loved having him hold me like this. I never want him to let go, ever again.

I wish he would've just told me what Colton knew right now, but obviously to him my health is more important.

It's not like I was starving myself on purpose. I didn’t even realize that I wasn’t eating much. I just simply didn't have the appetite.

After what felt like a five mile walk, we appeared in a dining room, where Chad, Alex and an awfully beautiful woman were.

Without anyone even telling me, I knew she was their mom. Fabian resembled her the most, and so did Chad. But Alex looked a bit different. 

The woman beamed at us as we walked in. Chad looked pleased that I was doing okay, and Alex had his usual uninterested expression.

Their mom rounded the table after putting a piece of stake in front of Alex, never once letting her gaze stray from me.

"Mom, I thought you weren't coming down tonight," Fabian said with what sounded like slight concern. The sound of his voice had me inclining my head in his direction, and indeed his face looked concerned.

Only God knows why.

"Then how rude of me it would've been to have a guest and be in bed?" This only told me that she is probably sick, and she came down to make dinner only because I was here? 

I felt awful.

"I do not wish to be any trouble. I-"

"Nonsense." She waved me off. "It's my pleasure. Please, sit." 

With a smile, I obliged and took a seat between Chad and Fabian. She shared me a huge plate of food that I'm sure I couldn’t finish. I guess it's what she's used to, seeing that she had three boys to feed. 

Fabian shifted now and then while we ate in silence. I noticed how his eyes would drift to his mom now and then, as if anticipating something. 

I held his hand under the table after seeing his discomfort. He met my eyes at contact, and I offered him a small smile of encouragement. 

I didn’t know what was wrong with their mom, but it obviously concerned them.

“So this is finally it huh?” she said with a small smile. “I met the girl who has my boy smitten.” Fabian chuckled from beside me, and I couldn’t help but blush at that. 

Smitten? 

“Tell me more about yourself, Paris.” She urged eagerly, and I gladly gave her a few pointers about myself. 

I told her how Fabian and I met, and Chad gladly interjected that it was his rink that caused our ‘heavenly union’.  

As if. 

Despite everything, soon after we fell into comfortable conversation, and the more we talked, the more confused I became. She didn’t seem sick in any way whatsoever. 

Maybe Fabian’s concern must’ve been the fear that his mom might say something embarrassing. Boys do that, right? 

“I’m going to go now,” Alex mumbled out of nowhere when Chad made a joke. It was odd, considering everyone else was laughing, even Fabian. 

I frowned. “Is he okay?” I asked Kady, since she insisted I call her that. 

Alex is just a kid. I don’t believe he should be this… cold.