Chapter Twenty-Nine

If I could choose between a car ride or motorcycles with Fabian, I'd definitely choose cars. Why? Because being in a closed space when he drives makes him a different person. On his bike, he had a certain mischievous aura, but in a car, he's definitely a sweet boyfriend type.

For the past hour, we've been playing corny car games to pass the time. Eventually, they evolved into our own version of games, and it was hilarious.

"Okay, okay. I have another one," I cheered as our laughter died down. "What's the most confusing way a girl could break up with someone?"

"I don't know, but I sure do hope it doesn't happen to me," Fabian said with a chuckle. I got excited to share my lame joke, so I spun in my seat as far as the seat belt would let me so I could see him better.

"Leaving a note on your old car she borrowed saying, 'this isn't working.'"

Out of mere courtesy and pure sweetness, Fabian laughed as if it was the funniest thing in the world, though I knew it wasn't. And that was precisely what made our game so enjoyable. He'd laugh at everything I say, and I'd find it incredibly hilarious because I knew he was just his charming self.

My stomach hurt, and my throat felt dry, so I decided that we'd both had our fair share of 'hilarious' jokes for one day.
I took a gulp of my water as I refocused on where we were heading. It was out of town, though I had a feeling that we'd be there soon. I didn't get the chance to ask Fabian who he was taking me to meet, but I knew it was someone important to him. Since he picked me up from school, he had been in a great mood, so I knew this was important to him.

"Can I give you a little advice?" Fabian asked after a moment of silence. I returned my attention to him with a slight nod. "Don't ever try stand-up comedy," he said, and instead of feeling offended, I bellowed out a laugh because I knew he was right. I'd leave the jokes to him.

Still, I playfully pushed him with an eye roll. "Whatever. Not all of us can be clowns, you know?"

"Are you suggesting that I am a clown?" he asked, feigning hurt.

I shrugged. "Who the cap fits, let them wear it."

Instead of replying, he reached over and grabbed onto my cheek with his teeth. I quickly shoved him away, praying that the second of distraction wouldn't cost us our lives. Luckily, the road was still clear, and our path was straight. Sometimes he really does play too much.

"Where are we going anyway?" I asked as I wiped his saliva from my face.

"We're almost there."

"That doesn't answer my question." I rolled my eyes. "Fine, who are we going to see then? It would be nice to have a heads up."

His complexion suddenly changed to bright pink, and I noticed that slight pull of his cheek, showing that he was biting it from the inside. I only ever saw Fabian like this when he was telling me his true feelings for me. Still, a small simper lingered on his pink lips, so I knew it wasn't anything horrible.

I reached over and rested my hand on his knee, and his gaze shifted to me quickly before refocusing on the road.

"It's my-uh -my old man." My eyes widened as he said that.

He was taking me to see his dad? I immediately glanced down at my attire, hating that he didn't tell me sooner. I would've worn something better than ripped jeans and a sweater when I changed. Instinctively, I lathered my palm with spit and attempted to tame my messy tendrils back into my bob shape.

Fabian had the gall to laugh at me, and I threw him a glare from the corner of my eyes. If he only wasn't so secretive or a fan of surprises, I would've been more prepared. I would've gotten a gift or something!